Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : PREVENT ERROR BOUND ON LOCALIZATION IN THE PRESENCE OF CHEATING BEACON NODES
Volume 03 Issue 10 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 40-44
Abstract – Secure distance-based localization in the presence of cheating beacon (or anchor) nodes is an important problem in mobile wireless ad hoc and sensor networks. Despite significant research efforts in this direction, some fundamental questions still remain unaddressed: In the presence of cheating beacon nodes, the necessary and sufficient conditions to guarantee a bounded error during two-dimensional distance-based location estimation Under these necessary and sufficient conditions, what class of localization algorithms can provide this error bound. In this paper, it attempts to answer these and other related questions by following a careful analytical approach. Specifically, it first show that when the number of cheating beacon nodes is greater than or equal to a given threshold, there do not exist any two-dimensional distance-based localization algorithms that can guarantee a bounded error. Furthermore, when the number of cheating beacons is below this threshold, it identifies a class of distance-based localization algorithms that can always guarantee a bounded localization error. Finally, it outlines three novel distance-based localization algorithms that belong to this class of bounded error localization algorithms.
Keywords— Wireless Networks, Distance-Based Localization, Security
- J. Hightower and G. Borriello, “Location Systems for Ubiquitous Computing,” Computer, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 57-66, Aug. 2001.
- R. Want, A. Hopper, V. Falcao, and J. Gibbons, “The Active Badge Location System,” ACM Trans. Information Systems, vol. 10, pp. 91-102, 1992.
- P. Bahl and V.N. Padmanabhan, “RADAR: An In-Building RF-Based User Location and Tracking System,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2000.
- N. Priyantha, A. Chakraborty, and H. Balakrishnan, “The Cricket Location-Support System,” Proc. ACM MobiCom, 2000.
- N. Bulusu, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “GPS-Less Low Cost Outdoor Localization for Very Small Devices,” IEEE Personal Comm. Magazine, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 28-34, Oct. 2000.
- D. Niculescu and B. Nath, “DV Based Positioning in Ad Hoc Networks,” J. Telecomm. Systems, vol. 22, pp. 267-280, 2003.
- R. Stoleru and J.A. Stankovic, “Probability Grid: A Location Estimation Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proc. First IEEE Conf. Sensor and Ad Hoc Comm. and Networks (SECON ’04), 2004.
- M.W. Carter, H.H. Jin, M.A. Saunders, and Y. Ye, “SpaseLoc: An Adaptive Subproblem Algorithm for Scalable Wireless Sensor Network Localization,” SIAM J. Optimization, 2006.
- J. Liu, Y. Zhang, and F. Zhao, “Robust Distributed Node Localization with Error Management,” Proc. ACM MobiHoc, 2006.
- G. Mao, B.D.O. Anderson, and B. Fidan, “Path Loss Exponent Estimation for Wireless Sensor Network Localization,” Computer Networks, vol. 51, pp. 2467-2483, 2007.
- R. Moses, D. Krishnamurthy, and R. Patterson, “A Self-Localization Method for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Eurasip J. Applied Signal Processing, special issue on sensor networks, vol. 2003, pp. 348-358, 2003.
- J. Xiao, L. Ren, and J. Tan, “Research of TDOA Based Self-Localization Approach in Wireless Sensor Network,” Proc. IEEE/ RSJ Int’l Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2006.
- N.B. Priyantha, H. Balakrishnan, E. Demaine, and S. Teller, “Poster Abstract: Anchor-Free Distributed Localization in Sensor Networks,” Proc. First Int’l Conf. Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys ’03), 2003.
- X. Ji and H. Zha, “Sensor Positioning in Wireless Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks Using Multidimensional Scaling,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2004.
- L. Fang, W. Du, and P. Ning, “A Beacon-Less Location Discovery Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2005.
- Z. Li, W. Trappe, Y. Zhang, and B. Nath, “Robust Statistical Methods for Securing Wireless Localization in Sensor Networks,”
- D. Liu, P. Ning, and W. Du, “Attack-Resistant Location Estimation in Sensor Networks,” Proc. Fourth Int’l Symp. Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN ’05), 2005.
- T. Eren, D. Goldenberg, W. Whiteley, Y.R. Yang, A.S. Morse, B. Anderson, and P. Belhumeur, “Rigidity, Computation and Randomization of Network Localization,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2004.
- N. Sastry, U. Shankar, and D. Wagner, “Secure Verification of Location Claims,” Proc. Second ACM Workshop Wireless Security (WiSe ’03), 2003.
- S. Capkun and J.-P. Hubaux, “Secure Positioning in Wireless Networks,” IEEE J. Selected Areas Comm., vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 221-232, Feb. 2006.
- W. Pires, T.H. de Paula Figueiredo, H.C. Wong, and A.A. Loureiro, “Malicious Node Detection in Wireless Sensor Net-works,” Proc. 18th Int’l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symp. (IPDPS ’04), 2004.
- D. Liu, P. Ning, and W. Du, “Detecting Malicious Beacon Nodes for Secure Location Discovery in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proc. 25th Int’l Conf. Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS ’05), 2005.
- L. Doherty, L.E. Ghaoui, and K.S.J. Pister, “Convex Position Estimation in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2001.