Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 04 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 84-89
Abstract – The present study addresses the need of resurrecting navigation through one of the oldest and historically significant inland waterways of our nation, the TS canal. Even though restoration projects were being proposed by various government agencies in the past, significant milestones remain to be encountered in this field..The study is aimed at the engineering aspects of restoration of the Kollam-Eravipuram stretch of the TS canal along with a generalised public opinion about the same. It is also intended to deal with the harmful social and environmental effects being posed by the poor quality of water in nearby aquifers as a result of groundwater intrusion through the canal water body.The study is designed to pin point the major factors that have led to the pathetic condition of the canal as seen today. On the basis of this, a set of recommendations and proposals are enlisted for ensuring restoration of inland navigation in a safe and eco-friendly manner through the same. A suitable waste water treatment plant is also be suggested with its design criteria.
Keywords— TS Canal; Canal Restortation;Water Quality; Water Treatment
- A Practical Hand book on Public health Engineering.
- Arcadio .P .Sincero “Environmental Engineering
- B.C Punmia, “Waste Water Engineering”, Laxmi Publications Pvt. Ltd.
- C.S.Rao, “Environmental Pollution Control Engineering” Wiley Eastern Ltd, Delhi.
- Daniel. B. Botkin, Edward .A. Keller “Environmental Science” (Earth as a living plant) IV Edition, John wiley& Sons Inc.
- David. A. Cornwell, Mackenzie. L .Davis “Introduction to Environmental Engineering” Mc Graw Hill International Edition.
- George Tchobanoglous, Frank Kreith et al “Hand book of solid waste management. Mc Graw hill publications –New York.
- John Pichtel “Waste management Practices” Taylor& Francis publishers.
- Metcalf and Eddy, “Waste Water Engineering”, Tata McGraw-Hill publishing Co Ltd.
- Robert. A. Corbitt “Hand Book of Environmental Engineering” Mc Graw hill publishing Company.
- Robert A Corbett “Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering” McGraw-Hill.
- S.C. Bhatia, “Environmental Pollution and Control in Chemical Process Industries”, Khanna Publishers, Naisarak – Delhi.
- S.K. Garg, “Sewage disposal and Air pollution Engineering”, Khanna Publishers.