Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 04 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 23-27
Abstract – Industrial waste water contains lot of industrial wastes and which have high amount of toxic compounds and pollutants. The removal of this compounds is very essential. The main process used in treatment plant of waste water is coagulation/flocculation. In this project Poly Aluminium Chloride (PACl) is suggested as a new coagulant with the help of experimental studies. Generally in treatment plants the chemicals used for coagulation and flocculation are Ferrous Sulphate and Alum. For this treatment the pH required is 11. The main problem of this flocculation process is that the conductivity of water increases. For reducing the pH level of water generally add HCL into water. By adding HCL conductivity of water again raises. High conductive water is harmful. When PACl is used for treating waste water, treatment can be done at a pH of 5-9 itself. It reduces the conductivity and increase the quality of water. For this Project the sample of industrial waste water collected from Cochin Special Economic Zone (CSEZ) Kerala, Kakkanad. CSEZ currently have 160 industrial units. CSEZ having a common Waste water Treatment facility. Thus Zone units are required to send all their sewage and effluent to this treatment plant. These waste water contain all organic, inorganic, hazardous and non-hazardous waste. So the experimental study was done in this sample of waste water. Primly the coagulant dosages were optimized. Further the treatment efficiency was evaluated on the basis of pH, Turbidity, Total Suspended Solids, Total Dissolved Solids, and Dissolved Oxygen for sample treated with Alum, Ferrous Sulphate and PACl. The obtained results shown that PACl is more effective than Alum and Ferrous Sulphate for the treatment of Industrial waste water.
Keywords— Coagulation; Alum; Ferrous Sulphate; Poly Aluminium Chloride (PACL); pH; Turbidity; Total Suspended Solids (TSS); Total Dissolved Solids (TDS); Dissolved Oxygen (DO)
- Yun-Hwei Shen And Brian A. Dempsey (1998), “Synthesis And Speciation Of Poly aluminum Chloride For Water treatment”, Environment International, Vol. 24, pp. 899-910.
- Tridib Tripathy and Bhudeb Ranjan De (2006), “Flocculation: A New Way to Treat the Wastewater”, Journal of Physical Sciences, Vol. 10, pp. 93 – 127.
- Irene Nansubuga, Noble Banadda, Mohammed Babu, Willy Verstraete and Tom Van de Wiele (2013), “Effect of poly aluminium chloride water treatment sludge on effluent quality of domestic wastewater treatment”, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 7(4), pp. 145-152.
- Ramune Albrektiene, Mindaugas Rimeika, Ernesta Lubyte (2011), “The Removal Of Iron-Organic Complexes From Drinking Water Using Coagulation Process”, Environmental Engineering, Vol. 3, Pp. 827-978.
- Fenglian Fu, Qi Wang (2011), “Removal of heavy metal ions from wastewaters: A review”, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 92 pp. 407-418.
- O.P.Sahu; P.K.Chaudhari (2013), “Review On Chemical Treatment of Industrial Wastewater”, Journal of Applied Science Environmental Management, Vol. 17 (2), pp. 241-257.
- Hossam Altaher*, Emad ElQada, Waid Omar (2011), “Pretreatment of Wastewater Streams from Petroleum/Petrochemical Industries Using Coagulation”, Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science, Vol. 1, pp. 245-251.
- Egwuonwu C.C., Uzoije A.P., Okafor V.C., Ezeanya N.C. And Nwachukwu M.U (2012), “Evaluation of the Effects of Industrial Wastewater”, Greener Journal of Physical Sciences, Vol. 2 (3), pp. 056-063.
- N.B.Prakash, Vimala Sockan, P.Jayakaran (2014), “Wastewater Treatment by Coagulation and Flocculation”, International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology, Vol. 3, pp. 124-130.
- Kokila A. Parmar, Sarju Prajapati, Rinku Patel and Yogesh Dabhi (2011), “Effective Use of Ferrous Sulphate and Alum as A Coagulant in Treatment of Dairy Industry Wastewater”, Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 6, pp. 84-95.
- Nona Jesmanitafti, Seyed Ali Jozi, Seyed Masoud Monavari, (2014), “Review the Environmental Effects of Industrial Wastewater Effluent”, Journal of Environmental Protection, Vol. 5, pp. 874-885.
- Arun K. Vuppaladadiyam, Sowmya V., Pallavi Dasgupta (2013), “Comparative Study on Coagulation Process for Vellore Municipal Drinking Water Using Various Coagulants”, Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology, Vol. 3(1), pp. 119-126.