Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 05 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 1-5
Abstract – In present scenario, in order to face global competition crisis and other challenging situation, industries is in need to provide quality metallic parts with higher strength and high surface finish at lowest possible cost. Metal Matrix Composites provide a better solution to industries because they possess the combined mechanical properties of materials. The aim involved in MMC is to combine the desirable attributes and other mechanical properties of metals and ceramics. In this research, Aluminium alloy LM6 is reinforced with silicon carbide particles at different compositions using stir casting technique. This composite material contains higher mechanical properties such as tensile strength, impact strength and hardness. But provides poor surface finish and hence in order to increase the surface finish of material, machining parameters in conventional end milling process is optimized.
Keywords— Machining; Aluminium metal matrix composites; Surface Roughness prediction; Response Surface Methodology
- R.Arokiadass, K.Palaniradja and N.Alagumoorthi , “Surface roughness prediction model in end milling of Al/SiCp MMC by carbide tools”, International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No.6, pp.78-87, 2011.
- H. Oktem, “An Integrated Study of Surface Roughness for Modeling and Optimization of Cutting Parameters during End Milling Operation,” International Journal advanced Manufacturing Technology vol. 43, pp. 852-861, 2009.
- Thoguluva Raghavan Vijayaram, A.Kamely and E.Sachlan, “Effect of Lead Addition on LM6 Alloy Castings”, Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, Vol.2, No.2, pp.65 – 75, 2010.
- Vamsi Inturi and V.Gopinath , “Modeling of Process Parameters on Surface Roughness in Milling of Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite (Al-7075 & Sic) using RSM”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol.3, No.9, pp.875 – 878,2014.
- K.Venkatesan, R.Ramanujam, J.Joel, P.Jeyapandiarajan, M.Vignesh, Darsh Jiten Tolia and R.Venkata Krishna, “Study of Cutting force and Surface Roughness in machining of Al alloy Hybrid Composite and Optimized using Response Surface Methodology”, Procedia Engineering, Vol.97, pp.677 – 686, 2014.
- Vikas Pare, Geeta Agnihotri and C.M.Krishna, “Optimization of Cutting Conditions in End Milling Process with the Approach of Particle Swarm Optimization”, International Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Vol.1, No.2, pp.21 – 25, 2011.
- T. Tamizharasan, J. Kingston Barnabas and J.Fakrudeen Ali Ahamed, “Optimization of Parameters in Hard Dry Turning using DoE, DE and PSO”, Journal of manufacturing technology management, Vol.17, pp.255-274, 2012.
- K. Arun Vikram, K. Sankara Narayana, G. Prem Kumar and C. Skandha, “Prediction of optimality and effect of machining parameters on Surface Roughness based on Taguchi Design of Experiments”, International Journal on Theoretical and Applied Research in Mechanical Engineering. Vol.3, No.3, pp.33– 39, 2014.
- Yacov sahijpaul and Gurpreet singh, “Determining the Influence of Various Cutting Parameters on Surface Roughness during Wet CNC Turning Of AISI 1040 Medium Carbon Steel”, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Vol.7,No.2, pp.63 – 72, 2013.
- M.Samual, K.Chandrasekaran, C.Parthasarathy, B.Sivaprakash and D.Kamalakkannan, “Prediction of Surface Roughness Responses in Turning on Cu Graphite MMC Fabricated Through Stir Casting Method”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.3, No.3, pp.281– 286, 2013.
- Norfadzlan Yusup, Azlan Mohd Zain and Siti Zaiton Mohd Hashim, “Overview of PSO for Optimizing Process Parameters of Machining”, Procedia Engineering, Vol. 29, pp.914-923, 2012.
- C.R.Prakash Rao, M.S.Bhagyashekar and Narendraviswanath, “Effect of Machining Parameters on the Surface Roughness while Turning Particulate Composites”,procedia engineering, Vol.97, pp.421 – 431, 2014.
- K. Venkatesan, R. Ramanujam, J.Joel, P.Jeyapandiarajan, M.Vignesh, Darsh Jiten Tolia and R.Venkata Krishna, “Study of Cutting force and Surface Roughness in machining of Al alloy Hybrid Composite and Optimized using Response Surface Methodology”, Procedia Engineering, Vol.97, pp.677 – 686, 2014.
- Y.P. Lim, “Evaluation of Al-5Ti-1B and Al-10Sr in LM6 sand castings”, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, Vol.34, no.1, pp.71 –78, 2009.
- M.Dhanashekar and V.S.SenthilKumar, “Squeeze Casting of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites- An Overview”, Procedia Engineering, vol.97, pp.412-420, 2014.
- Rabindra Behera, D. Chatterjee and G. Sutradhar, “Effect of Reinforcement Particles on the Fluidity and Solidification Behavior of the Stir Cast Aluminum Alloy Metal Matrix Composites”, American Journal of Materials Science, Vol.2, no.3, pp.53 –61, 2012.
- N.Suresh Kumar Reddy and P.Venkateswara Rao, “Selection of Optimum Tool Geometry and Cutting Conditions using a Surface Roughness Prediction Model for End Milling”, International Journal Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol.26, pp.1202-1210, 2005.
- Sanjith Moshat, Saurav Datta, Ashis Bndyo Padhyay and Pradeep Kumar Pal, “Optimization of CNC End Milling Process Parameters using PCA based Taguchi Method”, International Journal of Engineering , Science and Technology , vol. 2, issue. 1, pp. 92-102, 2010.
- A.V.N.L. Sharma, P. Sandeep Kumar, A.Gopichand and R.Mohan Rao, “Optimal machining conditions for turning of Al/SiC MMC using PSO and Regression analysis”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, vol. 2, issue. 6, pp. 497-500, 2012.
- N.V.Mahesh Babu Talupula and Nersu Radhika, “Experimental Investigation of Optimal Machining Parameters of Mild Steel in Cnc Milling Using Particle Swarm Optimization”, International Journal of Computer Science, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp.13-28, 2015.
- G.Bala Subramanyam and P. Punna Rao, “Optimization of Cutting Parameters Using Genetic Algorithm and Particle Swarm Optimization”, International Journal of Modern Engineering Research, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp.45-51, 2014.
- K.Venkatesan,R.Ramanujan, J.Joel, M.Vignesh and R.Venkata krishna, “Study of Cutting force and Surface Roughness in machining of Al alloy Hybrid Composite and Optimized using Response Surface”, Procedia Engineering, Vol.97, No.12, pp 677-686, 2014.
- F.Cus, U.Zuperl and V.Gecevska, “High speed end-milling optimization using Particle Swarm Intelligence”, journals of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, vol.22, No.2, pp.75-78, 2007.