Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 05 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 46-51
Abstract – The wireless mobile Ad-hoc network (MANET) is self-configuring mobile nodes connected through the wireless links with the decentralized networks where the nodes communicate with each other on the basis of mutual trust. For the network design, nature of the MANETs brings a new security challenges. Due to the dynamic infrastructure less nature and decentralized networks, wireless Ad-hoc networks are unprotected and vulnerable to the attack.. Lot of methods have been developed to identify and to preserve these kind of attacks. But these solutions mainly focus on attack-resilient rather than rooting out the source of attacks. Wormhole attacks can weaken or disable wireless sensor networks. MANET is severely affected by Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks which are the major problem for users of computer systems connected to the Internet. The wormhole attack is possible even if all communication provides legitimacy and secrecy. In the wormhole attack, an attacker slash packets at one location in the network, tunnels them to another location, and retransmits them there into the network. This can form a serious threat in wireless networks, including many ad hoc network routing protocols and location-based wireless security systems. The technique is based on the nodes quality index value. Simulation done with 16 nodes and in these two nodes considered as malicious node in Network Simulator2 (NS2).
Keywords— MANET, DDoS, DoS,Wormhole Effect
- S. Li, R. Yeung, and N. Cai, “Linear network coding,” IEEE Trans.Inf. Theory, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 371–381, Feb. 2003.
- T. Ho, M. Medard, R. Koetter, D. R. Karger, M. Effros, J. Shi, and B.Leong, “A random linear network coding approach to multicast,” IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 4413–4430, Oct. 2006.
- S. Biswas and R. Morris, “Opportunistic routing in multihop wireless networks,” ACM SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev., vol. 34,pp. 69–74, Sep. 2004.
- S. Katti, H. Rahul, W. Hu, D. Katabi, M. Medard, and J. Crowcroft, “XORs in the air: Practical wireless network coding,” inProc. Conf. Appl., Technol., Archit. Protocols Comput. Commun., 2006, pp. 243–254.
- S. Chachulski, M. Jennings, S. Katti, and D. Katabi, “Trading structure for randomness in wireless opportunistic routing,” in Proc. Conf. Appl., Technol., Archit. Protocols Comput. Commun., Aug. 2007, pp. 169–180.
- D. Dong, Y. Liu, X. Li, and X. Liao, “Topological detection on wormholes in wireless ad hoc and sensor networks,” IEEE Trans.Netw., vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1787–1796, Dec. 2011.
- J. Kim, D. Sterne, R. Hardy, R. K. Thomas, and L. Tong, “Timingbased localization of in-band wormhole tunnels in MANETs,” inProc. 3rd ACM Conf. Wireless Netw. Security, 2010, pp. 1–12.
- S. R. D. R. Maheshwari, J. Gao, “Detecting wormhole attacks in Wireless networks using connectivity information,” in Proc. IEEE 26th Int. Conf Commun., 2007, pp. 107–115.
- Y.-C. Hu, A. Perrig, and D. B. Johnson, “Wormhole attacks in wireless networks,” IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 370–380, Feb. 2006.
- R. Poovendran and L. Lazos, “A graph theoretic framework for preventing the wormhole attack in wireless ad hoc networks,” Wireless Netw., vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 27–59, 2007.
- A. J. Newell, R. Curtmola, and C. Nita-Rotaru, “Entropy attacks and countermeasures in wireless network coding,” in Proc. 5th ACM Conf. Security Privacy Wireless Mobile Netw.,2012, pp. 185–196.
- W. Wang, B. Bhargava, Y. Lu, and X. Wu, “Defending against wormhole attacks in mobile ad hoc networks: Research articles,” Wireless Commun. Mobile Comput., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 483–503, Jun.2006.
- Y.-C. Hu, A. Perrig, and D. B. Johnson, “Packet leashes: A defense against wormhole attacks in wireless networks,” in Proc. IEEE 23rd Annu. Joint Conf. IEEE Comput. Commun., Mar. 2003, pp. 1976–1986.
- W. Wang and B. Bhargava, “Visualization of wormholes in sensor networks,” in Proc. 3rd ACM Workshop Wireless Security, Oct. 2004, pp. 51–60.
- J. Eriksson, S. Krishnamurthy, and M. Faloutsos, “Truelink: A practical countermeasure to the wormhole attack in wireless networks,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Netw. Protocols, 2006, pp. 75–84.
- S. _Capkun, L. Butty_an, and J.-P. Hubaux, “Sector: Secure tracking of node encounters in multi-hop wireless networks,” in Proc. 1st ACM Workshop Security Ad Hoc Sensor Netw., 2003, pp. 21–32.
- D. S. J. D. Couto, D. Aguayo, J. Bicket, and R. Morris, “A high throughputpath metric for multi-hop wireless routing,” Wireless Netw., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 419–434, 2005.
- A. G. Dimakis, P. B. Godfrey, Y. Wu, M. J. Wainwright, and K.Ramchandran, “Network coding for distributed storage systems,”IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 4539–4551,Sep. 2010.
- A. S. Avestimehr, S. N. Diggavi, and D. N. Tse, “Wireless network information flow: A deterministic approach,” IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1872–1905, Apr. 2011.
- B. Nazer and M. Gastpar, “Compute-and-forward: Harnessing interference through structured codes,” IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 6463–6486, Oct. 2011.
- P. Santi, “Topology control in wireless ad hoc and sensornetworks,” ACM Comput. Surv., vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 164–194, 2005.
- F. Wu, T. Chen, S. Zhong, L. E. Li, and Y. R. Yang, “Incentive-compatible opportunistic routing for wireless networks,” in Proc. 14th ACM Int. Conf. Mobile Comput. Netw., 2008, pp. 303–314.
- S. Lloyd, “Least squares quantization in PCM,” IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. IT-28, no. 2, pp. 129–137, Mar. 1982.
- C. Cortes and V. Vapnik, “Support vector machine,” Mach. Learn., vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 273–297, 1995.
- W. Hoeffding, “Probability inequalities for sums of bounded random variables,” J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., vol. 58, no. 301, pp. 13–30, 1963.
- Beecrypt [Online]. Available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ beecrypt/
- R. L. Rivest, A. Shamir, and L. Adleman, “A method for obtaining digital signatures and public-key cryptosystems,” Commun. ACM, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 120–126, 1978.
- R. Rivest, “The md5 message-digest algorithm,” RFC 1321, 1992.
- J. Dong, R. Curtmola, and C. Nita-Rotaru, “Practical defences against pollution attacks in intra-flow network coding for wireless mesh networks,” in Proc. ACM Conf. Security Privacy Wireless Mobile Netw., Mar. 2009, pp. 111–122.
- T. Ho, B. Leong, R. Koetter, M. Medard, M. Effros, and D. Karger, “Byzantine modification detection in multicast networks using randomized network coding,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Inf. Theory,Jan. 2004, p. 143.
- Z. Li, D. Pu, W. Wang, and A. Wyglinski, “Forced collision: Detecting wormhole attacks with physical layer network coding,” Tsinghua Sci. Technol., vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 505–519, 2011.
- I. Khalil, S. Bagchi, and N. B. Shroff, “Liteworp: A lightweight counter measure for the wormhole attack in multihop wireless networks,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Dependable Syst. Netw., Jul. 2005,pp. 612–621.
- L. Qian, N. Song, and X. Li, “Detection of wormhole attacks in multi-path routed wireless ad hoc network: A statistical analysisapproach,” J. Netw. Comput. Appl., vol. 30, no. 1, 2007.
- L. Buttyan, L. Dora, and I. Vajda, “Statistical wormhole detection in sensor networks,” in Proc. Eur. Workshop Security Privacy Ad-Hoc Sensor Netw., Jul. 2005, pp. 128–141.