Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 06 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 145-149
Abstract – Detection of adulterants in food products is mandatory to ensure that the food we consume is of good quality. In case the adulterant is not detected properly, it leads to various health hazards and fatal diseases. This project focuses on analysing the presence of adulterants in chilli powder, one of the most commonly used ingredient in our household. The common adulterants used in chilli powder are Red lead salt, Sudan dyes, Brick powder etc,. Conventionally chemical tests were being conducted to detect these chemicals. In the proposed work spectral properties of materials are used to identify the adulterants using NIR Spectroscopy. NIR spectroscopy which is primarily used in material science applications is used here to perform analysis of various food adulterants. In the proposed work presence of adulterants like Red lead salt, and Brick powder were found and the quantity of these adulterants were also measured. By this detection process it is possible to avoid using the food stuffs with more quantity of adulterants.
Keywords— NIR spectroscopy, Red lead salt, Brick powder, Spectral Properties, Reflectance, Transmittance, MATLAB
- Sunita Mishra, Uma Kamboj, Harpreet Kaur and Pawan Kapur, “Detection of jaggery syrup in honey using near-infrared spectroscopy ” , International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, May 2010; 61(3): 306–315.
- Pamela Galvin-King , Yen-Cheng Ho , Steven E.J. Bell , Christopher T. Elliott and Simon A. Haughey, “The feasibility of using near infrared and Raman spectroscopic techniques to detect fraudulent adulteration of chili powders with Sudan dye”, Science Direct.com, doi:10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.03.047.
- M Masarat Dar, Wani Idrees and FA Masoodi Dar, “Detection of Sudan Dyes in Red Chilli Powder by Thin Layer Chromatography”, Open Access Scientific Reports, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/scientificreports.586.
- R. Fugel, R. Carle and A. Schieber, “Quality and authenticity control of fruit purees, fruit preparations and jams”, Trends in Food Science & Technology 16 (2005) 433–441, doi:10.1016/j.tifs.2005.07.001.
- Poliana M. Santos, “Detection and quantification of milk adulteration using time domain nuclear magnetic resonance (TD-NMR)” Microchemical Journal Volume 124, January 2016, Pages 15–19, doi:10.1016/j.microc.2015.07.013
- Mutia Nurulhusna Hussain, Mohd Fared Abdul Khir, Mohd Hafizulfika Hisham, And Zalhan Md Yusof, “Feasibility Study Of Detecting Canola Oil Adulteration With Palm Oil Using Nir Spectroscopy And Multivariate Analysis “, International Conference On Information, Communication Technology And System,2014.
- P. Kelina Sahaya Rajesh , C. Kumaravelu , A. Gopal , S. Suganthi , “Studies On Identification Of Medicinal Plant Variety Based On NIR Spectroscopy Using Plant Leaves “, IEEE 978-1-4673-2818-0/13/$31.00 ©2013 .