Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 06 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 177-183
Abstract – In multi-storeyed buildings flat slab and waffle slab are generally engaged when column spacing is more. Flat slabs and waffle slabs are used in buildings in requirement of more working space like commercial buildings, workshops, assembly buildings, etc. The main disadvantage of structures with flat slab and waffle slab are there lack of withstanding seismic loads. Special features like shear walls are used to help the building to resist the lateral loads caused due to high winds and seismic loads. In this paper, an attempt has been made to investigate the seismic effect on multi storey building of G+9 & G+14 floors with waffle slab and flat slab using the software ETABS 2013. The seismic evolution is performed by response spectrum analysis as per IS 1893 (2002). It is observed that waffle slabs are advisable for structure with a height less than 40m, whereas for structures of height above 40m it is advisable to go with flat slab.
Keywords – ETABS 2013, Earthquake, Waffle Slab, Flat Slab, Seismic Analysis, Storey Drift, Maximum Displacement.
- STAAD Pro 2003 User’s Manual. Research India Ltd., Bently Systems, E2-4, Block GP, Sector-V, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700 091.
- N.Krishnaraju, “Design of reinforced concrete structures”, CBS Publications & Distributors.
- P.C.Vargese, “Limit State Design of Reinforced Concrete second edition”.
- P.C.Vargese “Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design”.
- IS 456:2000 “Plain and Reinforced Concrete –code of practice”.
- IS 1893:2000 “Criteria for Earthquake Resistant design of structures”.
- IS13920:1993 “Ductile Detailing of Reinforced concrete structures to seismic forces-code practice.
- S.R.Damodarasamy, S.Kavitha, “Basics of structural dynamics and Aseismic design”.
- Amit A. Sathawane, R.S. Deotale (2013) Analysis and Design of Flat Slab and Grid Slab and their Cost Comparison.
- Salman I Khan1 and Ashok R Mundhada (2015) Comparative study of seismic performance of multi storied RCC buildings with Flat Slab and Grid Slab Ravi Kumar Makode, Saleem Akhtar, Geeta Batham Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications Muhammed Yoosaf.K.T, Ramadass S, Jayasree Ramanujan American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER) e-ISSN : 2320-0847 p-ISSN : 2320-0936 Volume-3 pp-20-27 www.ajer.org.
- Uzma A. Shaikh, Prof. Mohd. Shahezad, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology (ISSN: 2277-9655) Scientific Journal Impact Factor: 3.449 (ISRA), Impact Factor: 1.852 [Shaikh, 3(8): August, 2014].
- Alaa C. Galeb, Zainab F. Atiyah, International Journal Of Civil And Structural Engineering Volume 1, No 4, 2011 (ISSN 0976 – 4399).
- M. Khalaf, A. El-Shihy, H. Shehab, S. Mustafa, International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) Volume 2, Issue 12, June 2013 (ISSN: 2277-3754) ISO 9001:2008 Certified.
- X. Cahís, A. Benavent-Climent and A. Catalan, The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering October 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China.