Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 06 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 184-187
Abstract – Concrete is the globally accepted and most undisputable construction material. Quarry dust a waste accounts 25% of the final product from stone crushing unit. Direct release of quarry dust into environment causes serious environmental pollution. Foundry sand is the waste from the metal casting industry. To reduce these waste impact on environment and human beings, these can be utilised as a useful building material in construction. So that the natural resources are used efficiently and hence environmental waste can be reduced. Hence the partial replacement of cement with Quarry dust is made to optimize the cement content to reduce the production of cement and 〖co〗_2 emission. This research was carried out to produce an eco-friendly concrete by an experimental investigation on strength properties of concrete by partial replacement of cement with 20% of Quarry dust and fine aggregate with Foundry sand in the range of 10%, 20%, 30% and 40% by weight for M-20 grade concrete. Based on the mix design, trial mix was prepared and Strength tests such as compressive strength, flexural Strength and splitting tensile strength are studied at 7 days, 14days, 28 days and 60 days of curing.
Keywords – concrete, quarry dust, foundry sand, strength test
- Telma Ramosa, Ana Mafalda Mato a, Bruno Schmidt, Joao Rio, Joana Sousa-Coutinho “Granitic quarry sludge waste in mortar: Effect on strength and durability,”Construction and Building Materials, 47 (2013), 1001–1009.
- W.S, SheimA.M.M, Tam C.T, “The use of quarry dust for SCC application.” Cement and Concrete research 32-2002,505-511.
- Abukersh S.A, Fairfield C.A, “Recycled aggregate concrete produced with red granite dust as a partial cement replacement,” Construction and Building materials, vol.540/32-2011.
- Hamza, K.K Aizboon, “Effect of using granite in slurry concrete”,Construction and building materials, 10-2013,1014-1020.
- St Johan DA, Poole AW, Sims I. “Concrete Petrography” a handbook of investigative techniques, Hodder Headline group publishing.
- AbdElmoaty, Mohamed AbdElmoaty of structural engineering department, Alexandria university, “Mechanical properties and corrosion resistance of concrete modified with granite dust”, Construction and building materials 47(2013) 743-752.
- Felixkala T, Partheeban, “Granite powder concrete,” Indian journal of science and Technology, vol.3, no 3, March 2010.
- M.S Jaafar, W.A Thanoon, M.R.A Kadir, D.N Trikha, “Strength and durability characteristics of high strength tone dust concrete”, The Indian concrete journal, vol. 76, 2002,711-715.
- Yogesh Aggarwal, Rafat Siddique, “Microstructure and properties of concrete using bottom ash and waste foundry sand as partial replacement of fine aggregate” Construction and Building Materials Volume 54, 14March 2014,210-223.