Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 07 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 1-4
Abstract – Software-Defined Networking (SDN) is an approach to networking in which control plane is decoupled from hardware and given to a software application called a controller to simplify the management of networks with diverse functionalities and enable flexible deployments. SDN architectures decouple network control and forwarding functions, enabling network control to become directly programmable and the underlying infrastructure to be abstracted from applications and network services. The objective of the paper is making a survey of Software Defined Networking (SDN) and SDN Tools. Mininet is a network emulator. It is usually possible to create a Mininet network that resembles a hardware network, or a hardware network that resembles a Mininet network, and to run the same binary code and applications on either platform. The OpenFlow protocol can be used in SDN technologies. The Open-Flow protocol is a foundational element for building SDN solutions. Open-Flow is a standard protocol that is used to provide a communication between controller, control plane and data plane respectively. As a case study we have included Defense4All a security application with SDN.
Keywords— Software Defined Networking, SDN Applications, Control plane vs Data plane, Real time SDN implementation, Open-flow, Mininet, Security
- SDN Definition by ONF: https://www.opennetworking.org/sdn-resources/sdn-definition
- Open Networking Foundation (ONF), April 2013. Software Defined Networking: A New Norm for Networks. https//www.opennetworking.org/images/stories/downloads/white-papers/wp-sdn-newnorm.pdf
- Mininet Overview: http://mininet.org/overview/
- Diego Kreutz, Member, IEEE, Fernando M. V. Ramos,Member, IEEE, Paulo Verissimo, Fellow, IEEE, May 2014. Software Defined Networks – A Comprehensive Survey.
- Defense4all documentation – DDOS attack detection engine.