Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : WEIGHT OPTIMISATION OF PRE-ENGINEERED STEEL BUILDING BY GENETIC ALGORITHM
Volume 03 Issue 07 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 180-183
Abstract – Typically, a pre-engineered building is a metal building that consists of light gauge metal standing seam roof panels on steel purlins spanning between rigid frames with light gauge metal wall cladding. It is a relatively flexible structure v/s a conventional steel framed building. In other words, it has a much greater vertical and horizontal deflection.During the last few years, several methods have been developed for the optimal design of steel structures. Most of the methods are calculus based nature and leads to unrealistic solutions and therefore, they are not used in practice, which still prefers to rely on the more traditional iterative methods. This paper describes the use of genetic algorithm (GA) in performing optimization of Pre-engineered structure to achieve minimum weight. The GA uses fixed length vector of the design variables which are the cross-sectional areas of the members. The objective considered here is minimizing the weight of the structure.
Keywords— Pre-Engineered Building, Optimisation, Genetic Algorithm
- Goldberg D E, “Genetic algorithm in search, optimization and machine learning.”New York, Addison-Wesley publications.1989.
- Rajeev and Krishnamoorthy .”Genetic Algorithms – Based Methodologies for Design Optimisation of Trusses.” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 123 (3) 1997.), pp 350-358
- Kalyanmoy Deb and SurendraGulati “Design of truss-structures for minimum weight using genetic algorithms”, Finite elements in analysis and design. Vol. 37,2007.pp 447-465.
- Vasanthakumar” Structural optimization of an industrial building frame by genetic algorithm” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Vol. 5 No. 06S.2013.
- Rajesh Kumar , “Cost Optimization of Industrial Building using Genetic Algorithm” International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology,Volume 2, Issue 4,2013.pp 185-191.