Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : REDUCE THE MASS LOSSES FOR COATED AL 7075 BY USING POWDER MIXED ELECTRIC DISCHARGE COATING
Volume 03 Issue 07 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 184-186
Abstract – Electrical discharge machining (EDM) is a prominent non-traditional machining process. Basically EDM is use for machining and to form cavity by spark erosion between tool and workpiece but in this work EDM process is used to coating the surface of work piece by spark erosion. Increase of hardness of EDM coated surface is achieved by changing the electrode and polarity of the machine.This process with the reversal of polarity is known as electro-discharge coating (EDC). Due to this surface coating properties such as high hardness, wear resistance, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance, without making any significant change to bulk characteristics of the structure is achieved. In this work erosion pulse discharge between the Aluminium Alloy 7075 (work piece) and copper (electrode) in EDA oil 450 as dielectric medium and the machining is carried out under optimum input parameters like concentration of powder, peak current, pulse on time, and pulse off time. Taguchi L9 orthogonal array has been selected for 4- factors 3-levels design. In this work powder such as Silicon carbide (SiC) and Nickel (Ni) is coated over the machined surface of Aluminium 7075 workpiece.
Keywords— Aluminium 7075; Wear Rate; Process Parameters; Pulse On Time; Pulse Off Time
- Ho .K.H, S.T. Newman.(2003) ‘State of the art electricaldischarge machine (EDM)’- International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture Vol.43, pp.1287–1300
- Moro.T, Mohri.N, Otsubo.H, Zagoto.A ,Saito.N. (2004) ‘study on the surface modification system with electrical discharge machine in the practical usage’- journal of materials processing technology vol.149, pp.65–70
- Pecas P and Henriques E (2003), “Influence of silicon powder-mixed dielectric on conventional electrical discharge machining”, Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture; 43:1465-1471
- Vipin Richhariya and Manoj Masanta (2013) “surface modification of AISI 1020 mild steel by electrical discharge coating with tungsten and copper mixed powder green compact electrodes”.pp.12-51
- Shunmugan M S, Philip P K, and Gangadhar A, (1994) “Improvement of wear resistance by EDM with tungsten carbide P/M electrode,” Wear;171:1-5,
- Cogun C, Ozerkan B, Karacay T. (2006) ‘An experimental investigation on the effect of powder mixed dielectric on machining performance in electric discharge machining’, Proceedings of the IMechE, Part B- Journal of Engineering Manufacture,Vol.220, pp.1035–1050.
- Satpal Singh , Kalra C S .( 2014) Experimental Study of PMEDM on En 24 Steel With Tungsten Powder In Dielectric. International Journal On Emerging Technologies 5(1) :153-160
- Rigney D.A., L.H. Chen, M. G. S. Naylor and A.R. Rosenfield (1984) ‘Wear Processes