Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EXPERIMENTAL STUDY ON STRENGTHENING OF R.C COLUMN BY FRP WIRE MESH
Volume 03 Issue 07 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 212-216
Abstract – In recent years Fiber Reinforced polymer gained wide use of strengthening and repairing works for the beams columns and slabs of buildings and bridges. FRP is commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, marine, construction industries and ballistic armor. The present study is mainly focused on the investigation of the effect of externally bonded FRP upon the strength characteristics of R.C columns. Large number of studies on R.C columns wills shows that the column will fail due to improper or insufficient confinement. In case of FRP, it will provide effective confinement to the column, this property of FRP makes it much suitable as strengthening material. So I had planned to study the effect of FRP on strength and durability aspect of RC column. For this purpose 6 RC circular columns, dimensions 300mm height and 150mm diameter are to be considered. Among the 6 specimens, 2 will be confined with FRP wraps of single layer (3mm thickness), another 2 are confined with FRP wraps of double layer (5mm thickness) and the rest were unconfined and are tested for compressive strength and deflection using dial gauge. The axial bending of casted short column is wrapped with double layered FRP was performed and monitored, and a cracked section of short column was repaired using FRP and checked.
Keywords— FRP,Confined,Unconfined, Strengthening material, R C Circular columns
- ACI – 440 2R,(2001), ‘ Guide for the design of externally bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening concrete structures’ ACI Detroit, Michigan.
- Akash K. Chauhan, Nirav B. Umravia Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Columns Using FRP
- Antonopoulos, C. and Triantafillou, T.C, (2003) ‘Experimental investigation of FRP – Strengthened R.C Beam Column Joint’ Journal of composites for construction (ASCE), vol.78, No.1, Pp.39-49.
- AzadehParvin, David Brighton, FRP Composites Strengthening of Concrete Columns under Various Loading Conditions-2014
- Azam Amir, Dr. AmjadNaseer, Strengthening of Existing Building Column Using FRP Wrap& GI Wire Mesh Volume 4, Issue 5, ISSN 2229-5518 May-2013
- Brian Miller, Antonio Nanni, Bond Of FRP Laminates To Concrete,Vol 98, No. 3, May -June 2001
- Guoqiang Li, Samuel KidaneSu-seng (2003), ‘Investigation into FRP Repaired R.C column ‘journal of Composite Structures 6283-89.
- Indian Standard, Concrete Mix Proportioning- Guidelines- IS10262:2009
- Laura De Lorenzis February- 2002, Bonded Frp Systems for Strengthening Concrete.
- Lelli Van Den Einde, FriederSeiblec, Lei Zhao (2003) ‘ Use of FRP Composites in Civil Structural ‘ Applications Journal of Construction and Building Materials, pp.389-403.
- Olivova. k, J. Bilcik-2008, Strengthening Of Concrete Columns With Cfrp
- Promis.G, Ferrier.E, and Hamelin.P, (2009) ‘Composite Structures’, vol.88, Issue 3, pp. 367-379.
- Raphaelle SADONE, Marc QUIERTANT, Experimental Study On RC Columns Retrofitted By FRP and Subjected to Seismic Loading
- Sandeep S. Pendhari, Tarun Kant, Yogesh M. Desai, Application of polymer composites in civil construction
- Shamim A. Sheikh (2001), Performance of Concrete Structures Retrofitted with Fiber Reinforced Polymer, Elsevier, 15 December.
- Sung-Chul Chun, hyung-Chul Park, Load Carrying Capacity and Ductility of R.C Columns Confined by Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymers.
- Silvia Rocc, Nestore Galati and Antonio Nanni (2009). ‘Construction and Building Materials’, vol.23, Issue 4, pp.1508-1520.
- TarekBahaa M., Hossam, and El-Karmoty Z., (2007) ‘Behavior of Sandwich FRP wrapped R.C Columns under Eccentric Loading’, HBRC Journal Vol.3, No.2.
- Wong Y.L, Yu T., Teng, J.G and Dong S.L.(2008) ‘Behavior of FRP- Confined Concrete in Annular Section Columns’ Composites Part B: Engineering, vol.39, Issue3