Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : VIBRATION CONTROL OF INELASTIC 3D STRUCTURE WITH TUNED MASS DAMPER
Volume 03 Issue 07 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 230-234
Abstract – Structural engineers are searching for new techniques to minimize the lateral load effects on structures. In order to that, Vibration control of structures using several systems is popular now. Tuned mass damper (TMD) is one of the passive control system using to reduce the vibrations of structure. Damping ratio is the one of the parameter of TMD and it is considered as the same as that of the structure. In this paper, the effect of TMD was studied with different mass ratios and TMD configurations. This research was made to study the simplification of using TMD for controlling vibration of structure in finite element software under a harmonic analysis. A six storied structure made up of RCC is considered for the analyses. Analyses were done by FE software SAP 2000 by using direct integration approach. A non linear Time history analysis was carried out and TMDs were placed in the top two stories with various configurations. Moreover, TMDs with mass ratios 2.5%, 5%, 7.5% and 10% were also considered. Comparison was done between the building with TMD and without TMD. Finally Results of time periods, base shear and maximum displacements were compared using all test models.
Keywords— Dynamic responses, free vibration characteristics, Non-linear time history analysis, Optimum parameters, TMD
- Mohamed Abdel-Rohman, M. ASCE “feasibility of active control of tall buildings against wind” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 113, No. 2, February, 1987.
- K. T. Tse; K. C. S. Kwok ; and Yukio Tamura, M.ASCE “Performance and Cost Evaluation of a Smart Tuned Mass Damper for Suppressing Wind- Induced Lateral-Torsional Motion of Tall Structures” JOURNAL OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING / APRIL 2012
- H. Kim, J.-W. Park, D.-K. Kim, S. Hwang” Performance test of secondary mass dampers for vibration control of tall buildings” Structures Congress 2011
- Aly Mousaad Aly, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy [email protected] Ferruccio Resta, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy [email protected] Alberto Zasso, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy [email protected]” Active Control in a High-Rise Building under Multidirectional Wind Loads ” Structures 2008: Crossing Borders
- Bandivadekar T.P and Jangid R.S “Mass distribution of multiple tuned mass dampers for vibration control of structures” International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering, 2011
- C. C. Changl and Henry T. Y. Yang “control of buildings using active tuned mass dampers” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 121, No.3, March, 1995.
- Maria Q. Feng,t Associate Member, ASCE, and Akira Mita, Member, ASCE “vibration control of tall buildings using mega subconfiguration” journal of engineering mechanics 1october 1995
- K.K.F Wong,”Seismic energy dissipation of inelastic structures with tuned mass dampers” journal of engineering mechanics / february 2008
- Zhiqiang Zhang, Guowei Zhou, Aiqun Li1, Xiaofeng “Bill” Zhang” Vibration Reduction of a Stadium Corridor Using Tuned Mass Dampers “Strtures Congress 2011
- Thakur V.M and Pachpur P.D., “Seismic Analysis of Multistoried Building with TMD (Tuned Mass Damper)” ,International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA),2012,
- IS 800:2002 “Plain and reinforced concrete-code for practice”
- IS 875:1987(PART 3)”code practice for design loads other than earthquake for buildings and structures”
- IS 1893:2002 1”code for earthquake design for buildings and structures
- Prashant Pandey, Shrinivas Raydu and Laxmikant Tibude.”Tuned mass dampers as an energy dissipater” , IJIERE ,2015
- Hossein Shad and Azlan Adnan. , “An investigation on the effectiveness of Tuned Mass Damper (TMD) in suppressing the displacement response of a 5 –storey building under harmonic load” .4th International Graduate Conference on Engineering .