Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 67-70
Abstract – In this paper, a single-stage ac–dc power electronic converter is proposed to efficiently manage the energy harvested from electromagnetic microscale and mesoscale generators with low-voltage outputs. The proposed topology combines a boost converter and a buck-boost converter to condition the positive and negative half portions of the input ac voltage, respectively. Only one inductor and capacitor are used in both circuitries to reduce the size of the converter. A 2 cm × 2 cm, 3.34-g prototype has been designed and tested at 50-kHz switching frequency.Detailed design guidelines are provided with the purpose of minimizing the size, weight, and power losses. The theoretical analyses are validated by the experiment results.
Keywords— AC/DC conversion, boost, bridgeless, buck-boost, energy harvesting, low-voltage rectification
- Roundy.S, Wright P.K, and Rabaey.J , “A Study of Low Level Vibratio as a Power Source for Wireless Sensor Nodes,” Comput. Commun., vol. 26,no. 11, pp. 1131–1144, Jul. 2003.
- El-hami.M, Glynne-Jones.P, WhiteN.M, Hill.M, Beeby.S, James.E,Brown A. D., and Ross J. N., “Design and Fabrication of a New Vibration Based Electromechanical Power Generator,” Sens. Actuators A: Phys., vol. 92, no. 1–3, pp. 335–342, Aug. 2001.
- Beeby S. P., Torah R. N., Tudor M. J.,. Glynne-Jones. P, Donnell T. O’,Saha C. R., and Roy S., “A Micro Electromagnetic Generator for Vibration Energy Harvesting,” Micromech. Microeng .J, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1257–1265, Jul. 2007.
- Vullers.R, van Schaijk.R, and Doms.I , “Micropower Energy Harvesting,”Solid-State Electron., vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 684–693, Jul. 2009.
- Williams C. B, Shearwood C, Harradine M. A, Mellor P. H, Birch T. S.B, and R. B. Yates, “Development of an Electromagnetic Micro-Generator,”IEE Proc. Circuits Devices Syst., vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 337–342, Jun. 2001.
- Szarka G. D,. Stark B. H, and. Burrow S. G, “Review of Power Conditioning for Kinetic Energy Harvesting Systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron.,vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 803–815, Feb. 2012.
- Burrow S. G and Clare L. R., “Open-Loop Power Conditioning for Vibration Energy Harvesters,” Electron. Lett., vol. 45, no. 19, pp. 999–1000,Sep. 2009.
- Cammarano.A, BurrowS.G, Barton D. A. W, Carrella.A, and Clare L. R, “Tuning a Resonant Energy Harvester Using a Generalized Electrical Load,” Smart Mater. Structures, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 1–7, May 2010.
- Cheng.S , Wang.N, and. Arnold D. P, “Modeling of Magnetic Vibrational Energy Harvesters Using Equivalent Circuit Representations,” J.Micromech.J. Microeng., vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2328–2335, Nov. 2007.
- Dayal.R and Parsa.L, “A New Single Stage AC-DC Converter for Low Voltage Electro Magnetic Energy Harvesting,” in Proc. IEEE Energy Convers. Congr. Expo., Atlanta, GA, U7SA, Sep. 2010, pp. 4447–4452.