Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : SECURE KEY ESTABLISHMENT SCHEME FOR WIRELESS SENSOR NETWORK IN DISTRIBUTED IoT APPLICATIONS
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 90-93
Abstract – The Internet of things (IoT) has become a significant element of next generation. IoT is a proposed development of the internet in which the objects have network connectivity able to transmit and receive data. The IoT applications such as smart homes, smart cities and health care. WSN is an important technology of IoT. Typically sensor nodes are considered resource constrained device with limited battery power and computation capabilities. Hence group communication is efficient than device to device communication. Security is responsible for transmitting information without hacking. Security is used to provide guarantee for integrity and authenticity of the message transaction. Secure group key establishment is used to provide effective message delivery between resource constrained sensor nodes. In this proposed method two protocols are designed for secure group communication. These two protocols are based on ECC operation and used to avoid Man In The Middle (MIIT) attack. Each protocol are defined in term exact IoT application development and examined based on its security, performance, throughput and scalability. Network coding method is used to increase the performance, throughput, as well as resilience to attacks and eavesdropping. According to the performance evaluation results, the security analysis supports the stronger security features of those protocols compared to reference solutions. The addition of a digital signature gives resistance against MITM attacks. This will provide the stronger security features in the multicast communication.
Keywords— Wireless sensor network, Internet Of Things, Group communication, Security, Group key Establishment
- P. Porambage, C. Schmitt, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov and M. Ylianttila, “Two-phase authentication protocol for wireless sensor networks in distributed IoT applications,” in Proc. IEEE Wireless Commun. Netw. Conf. (WCNC), Apr. 2014, pp. 2728-2733.
- T. Kothmayr, C. Schmitt, W. Hu, M. Br ̧nig and G. Carle, “DTLS based security and two-way authentication for the Internet of Things,” Ad Hoc Netw., vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 2710-2723, 2013.
- R. Di Pietro and S. Guarino, “Data confidentiality and availability via secret sharing and node mobility in UWSN,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, Apr. 2013, pp. 205-209.
- L. Harn and C. Lin, “Authenticated group key transfer protocol based on secret sharing,” IEEE Trans. Comput. , vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 842-846, Jun. 2010.
- P. Porambage, C. Schmitt, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov and M. Ylianttila, “PAuthKey: A pervasive authentication protocol and key establishment scheme for wireless sensor networks in distributed IoT applications,” Int. J. Distrib. Sensor Netw., vol. 2014, Jul. 2014, Art. ID 357430.
- P. Porambage, P. Kumar, C. Schmitt, A. Gurtov and M. Ylianttila, “Certificate-based pair wise key establishment protocol for wireless sensor networks,” in Proc. IEEE 16th Int. Conf. Comput. Sci. Eng. (CSE), Dec. 2013, pp. 667-674.
- W. Yuan, L. Hu, H. Li and J. Chu, “Security and improvement of an authenticated group key transfer protocol based on secret sharing,”Appl. Math. Inf. Sci., vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1943-1949, 2013.
- P. Nie, J. Vaha-Herttua, T. Aura and A. Gurtov, “Performance analysis of HIP diet exchange for WSN security establishment,” in Proc. 7th ACM Symp. QoS Secur. Wireless Mobile Netw., 2011, pp. 51-56.
- J.-H. Son, J.-S. Lee and S.-W. Seo, “Topological key hierarchy for energy efficient group key management in wireless sensor networks,” Wireless Pers. Commun., vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 359-382, 2010.
- J. Zhang and V. Varadharajan, “Wireless sensor network key management survey and taxonomy,” J. Netw. Comput. Appl., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 63-75, 2010.