Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : BIODIESEL PRODUCED FROM RUBBER SEED AND AS AN ALTERNATIVE FUEL FOR POLLUTION CONTROL IN DIESEL ENGINE
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 105-109
Abstract – Research and study has shown that Rubber seed oil can be processed, by transesterification, into a useable fuel for compression ignition engines. Earlier research examined using straight vegetable oil as a fuel, but found it to cause detrimental engine and environmental problems. Trial and error has shown that heating the vegetable oil prior to injection, is a viable option. A diesel vehicle engine was operated for over 188 hours or approximately 7,000 miles, using Rubber seed oil as fuel. The longevity of the vehicle engine was limited by an undetermined engine failure. Using stationary testing, with no engine load and various power settings, engine emissions of several engines operating on Rubber seed oil were compared to emissions from two other fuels, diesel and Biodiesel, and found to be very positive. Rubber seed oil (RUBBERSEED OIL) had lower overall emissions than diesel and lower levels of nitrogen species than Biodiesel. The interest on alternative fuels is continuously increasing to meet the growing energy needs and protect the environment. A successful alternative fuel fulfills the environmental and energy security needs without sacrificing operating performance. One of the successful alternative fuels is biodiesel which is gaining attention in the present day world. Operationally, biodiesel blends perform very similar to conventional diesel in terms of performance and emissions without major modifications of engine because the properties of bioconventional diesel are similar. biodiesel is prepared from Rubber seed oil and tests were conducted with different blends of biodiesel and diesel on diesel engine performance and emissions are evaluated and compared with diesel operation.
Keywords— Alternative fuel; Biodiesel:Rubber seed(RSO);Pollution control
- Potential use of Rubber seed as food, feed and biofuel aEka, H. D., a,*Tajul Aris, Y. and bWan Nadiah, W. A. International Food Research Journal 17: 527-534 (2010).
- Biodiesel Production from Rubber Seed Oil Using A Limestone Based Catalyst Jolius Gimbun1,2, Shahid Ali1, Nurdin,December 2012 .
- High FFA Rubber Seed Oil as an Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine – An Overview 1S.Senthil (IJES Dec12)
- Physico-Chemical Properties of the Biodiesel Extracted From Rubber Seed Oil Using Solid Metal Oxide Catalysts Uma Krishnakumar, (IJERA vol 3 Aug13) .
- Experimental Investigation of Rubber Seed Oil as Biodiesel on C.I. EngineB.Dinesh Babu*1, (vol3 , 22nd March 2014).
- Handbook of bio fuel by Andry pandey
- Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research Nov-2005,National Institute of Science Communication And Information Resources, CSIR. New Delhi, INDIA.
- International bio energy directory and hand book.