Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF SELF COMPACTING CONCRETE WITH GGBS AND FOUNDRY SAND
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 116-120
Abstract – The construction activities in the last few decades have increased many folds in almost all the developing countries of the world. Cement is becoming a scarce commodity globally because of its growing demand day by day. It is the need of time to search such alternative waste materials that would partially or fully replace cement and sand used in concretes without affecting its quality, strength and other characteristics. In order to reduce time and to improve the filling capacity of highly congested structural members by its own weight without any vibration self-compacting concrete (SCC) is adopted. The primary aim of this study is to explore the feasibility of SCC using Ground Granulated Blast furnace Slag (GGBS) and foundry sand as a replacement for cement and fine aggregate respectively. Here Portland cement is replaced by 10%, 15% and 20% by GGBS and fine aggregate is replaced by 10%, 15% and 20% by foundry sand in combinations. The w/p ratio is kept constant throughout the investigation as 0.40. Super plasticizer known as Conplast SP430 is used. Since there is no standard method of mix design available for SCC hence the mix proportion is obtained as per the guidelines given by European Federation of producers and contractors of special products for structure (EFNARC). This paper presents an experimental investigation on strength aspects like compressive and split tensile strength and the workability tests. The compressive strength and split tensile strength of the cubes and cylinders at 7 days, 28 days are obtained and it was found that the mix having 10% replacement of cement with 20% replacement of foundry sand gives the best results.
Keywords— Self Compacting concrete, Material Properties, Fresh Concrete Properties, Hardened Concrete Properties, GGBS and Foundry sand
- Darshan H R, M.Rame Gowda (2014) ‘Development and study of behavior of self – compacting concrete using GGBS’, International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science, Volume No.02, Issue No. 07, July 2014.
- S.P.Sangeetha, P.S Joanna (2014) ‘Flexural behaviour of reinforced concrete beams with partial replacement of GGBS’, American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER) Volume – 03, Issue-01, Pages 119-127.
- M.Adams Joe, A.Maria Rajesh (2015) ‘Study on the effect of GGBS & M sand in self compacting concrete’, The International Journal Of Engineering And Science (IJES), Volume 4, Issue 8, Pages 12-18.
- Rafat Siddique, Ravinder Kaur Sandhu, Properties of Self Compacting Concrete Incorporating Waste Foundry Sand, (2013).
- Kiran K, Shetty, Gopinatha Nayak, Rahul Shetty K, Self Compacting Concrete using Red mud and Foundry Sand, (2014).
- Venkatesh P, S.A. Vengadesh Subramanian, Utilization of used Foundry Sand and Waste tyre Rubber in Self Compacting Concrete, (2015).
- IS 383 : 1970 Specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural sources for concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards
- EFNARC (European Federation of national trade associations representing producers and applicators of specialist building products), Specification and Guidelines for self compacting concrete, February 2002, Hampshire, U.K
- IS 10262 : 2009 Concrete mix proportioning – guidelines, Bureau of Indian Standards