Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EXPERIMENTAL STUDY ON MAGNESIUM POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE CEMENT BLENDED WITH PARTIAL REPLACEMENT BY FLY ASH
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 142-144
Abstract – One of the main ingredients used for the production of concrete is the Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC). Cement is becoming a scarce commodity globally because of its growing demand day by day. It is the need of time to search such alternative materials that would partially or fully replace cement used in concretes and mortars without affecting its quality, strength and other characteristics.In recent years, fly ash when replaced with cement has emerged as a major alternative to conventional concrete and has rapidly drawn the concrete industry attention due to its cement savings, energy savings, and cost savings, environmental and socio-economic benefits. Magnesium potassium phosphate cements (MKPCs), blended with partially weight percentage of fly ash (FA) to reduce heat evolution, water demand and cost, were assessed using compressive strength. In addition to the main binder phase, struvite-K, an amorphous orthophosphate phase was detected in FA/MKPC system. It was postulated that an aluminium-phosphate phase was formed, however, no significant Al–O–P interactions were identified. This study demonstrates the need for further research on these binders, as FA is generally regarded as inert fillers within MKPC. The effects on using MKPC concrete of various mix(20%,30%,40% and 50%) was studied by workability, compressive strength & split tensile strength. The durability study by water absorption test was performed.
Keywords— Concrete, Fly ash, MKPC, Struvite-K, Mechanical properties
- Abhishek Jain, Nazrul Islam (2013), “Use of fly ash as partial replacement of sand in cement mortar”, ISSN: 2319-8753, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 5.
- AmanJatale, Kartikey Tiwari, SahilKhandelwal (2013), “Effects on compressive strength when cement is partially replaced by fly ash”.ISSN:2278-1684 Volume 5, Issue 4, pp 34-43.
- Alvin Harison, Vikas Srivastava and Arpan Herbent (2014) “Effect of fly ash on compressive strength of portlandpozzolona cement concrete”, Journal of Academia and Industrial Research, Vol.2, ISSN: 2278-5213.
- Chau C.K, FeiQiao, Zongjin Li (2011) “Microstructure of magnesium potassium phosphate cement”, International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT) Vol. 25(6):2911 – 2917.
- Freeda Christy C and Tensing D (2014), “Fly ash as a partial replacement with cement and fine aggregate in mortar”, Indian journal of engineering & material science, Vol 17.
- Gemma Mestres, Maria-Pau Ginebra (2011) “Novel magnesium phosphate cements with high early strength and antibacterial properties”,ActaBiomaterialia, ISSN: 1853-61.
- Hongyan Ma, Biwan Xu, Zongjin Li (2014), “Magnesium potassium phosphate cement paste: Degree of reaction, porosity and pore structure”. Cement and Concrete Research, PP 96–104.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1959) IS 1199-1959: Methods of Sampling and Analysis of Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1959) IS 516-1959: Methods of Tests for Strength of Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1982) IS 10262-1982: Recommended Guidelines for Concrete Mix Design, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1982) IS 456-2000: Plain and Reinforced Concrete-Code of Practice, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- JayeshkumarPitroda, Zala L.B, Umrigar F.S (2012) “Experimental investigation on partial replacement of cement with fly ash in design mix concrete”, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol. III/ Issue IV.
- Kiran T.G.S, Ratnam M.K.M.V (2014), “Fly ash as a partial replacement of cement in concrete and durability study of fly ash in acidic (H2SO4) environment”. International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, Volume 10, Issue 12.
- Swaroop A.H.L, Venkateswara Rao K, Kodandaramarao P (2013) “Durability studies on concrete with fly ash & GGBFS”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol.3, PP. 258-289, ISSN: 2248 – 9622.
- Zhu Ding, Biqin Dong, Feng Xing, Ningxu Han, Zongjin Li (2012), “Cementing mechanism of potassium phosphate based magnesium phosphate cement”, Vol. 38(8):6281-6288.