Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF NANO TITANIUM DIOXIDE ON CONCRETE
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 155-158
Abstract – Cement is one of the most commonly used construction materials due to its low cost, high mechanical strength and workability. The mechanical behavior of concrete materials depends to a great extent on structural elements and phenomena which are effective on a micro- and nanoscale. The ability to target material modification at the nanostructural level promises to improve significantly the mechanical performance, volume change properties, durability, and sustainability of concrete. In recent years nanotechnology has become very active in research areas due to its smaller size and high surface area. Nano technology has attracted considerable scientific interest due to the new potential uses of particles in the order of nanometer (10-9 m) scale. Nanomaterials have a larger value of the ratio between surface area and volume than other similar particles in larger size, making the nanomaterials more reactive. The focus of this study was to explore the use of nanotechnology-based nano filament, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (TiO2), as reinforcement for improving the mechanical properties of Portland cement paste. Furthermore, properties of electrical resistance, corrosion resistance and setting time of concrete are also monitored. These properties give the importance of TiO2 as an additive to the improvement of properties of cement.
Keywords— Titanium Dioxide, Conplast, Mechanical properties, workability
- Samar A, Ibrahim M, Mohammad M, Alaa A, and Samia S (2011)“utilization of black liquor as concrete admixture and set retarder aid”, Journal of Advanced Research vol 2 ,163–169.
- Aravind Kumar, Ishad mahmood, and Anil kumar, (1995) “studies on paper mill effluent as a workability aid for concrete mortars” , Building and environment, Vol.30, No. 4, pp 379.
- H.H.M. Darweesh,“Utilization of Pulp Black Liquor Waste As A Cement Admixture”, Taif University, Chemistry dept.,2, 3 Cellulose and Paper Dept. National Research Centre, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt.
- Behfarnia K , Keivan A and Keivan A , (2013) “The effects of tio2 and ZnO nanoparticles on physical and mechanical properties of normal concrete” Asian journal of civil engineering (bhrc) vol. 14, no. 4 pages 517-531.
- Eshan Mohsani, Hamad Azar, and Simin Hosseiny “ Effectiveness of nano-TiO2 and fly ash in concrete”, University of Guilan, Technical Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences , pages 101 – 107.
- Farzad Soleymani(2012), “Effects of TiO2 nanoparticles on increasing split tensile strength of limestone aggregate-based concrete”, Department of Metallurgical Engineering, Payame Noor University, Journal of American Science.
- Hunashyal A.M, Suman J.M, Banapurnath N.R, Quadri S.S and Ashok S,(2015), “Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Titanium dioxide and Carbon fibers on the mechanical and Micro structural Properties of Cement Beams”, SOP TRANSACTIONS ON NANO-TECHNOLOGY, Volume 2, Number 1, February 2015.
- Jaishankar P and Saravana Raja Mohan K (2015), “Experimental investigation on Nano particles in High Performance Concrete” International Journal of ChemTech Research, Vol.8, No.4, pp 1666-1670.
- Mainak Ghosal and Arun Kr Chakraborty (2015), “A Comparative Assessment of Nano-SiO2 & Nano-TiO2 Insertion in Concrete” European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, 2015, 2(8): 44-48.
- Mohammed S, Osama A, and Ihab A, (2015), “ Improving the mechanical and durability 1properties of cement mortar by nano titanium ” , Journal of Engineering Sciences Vol. 43 No. 5 PP. 663 – 681.
- Mostafa Jalal Ali Akbar and Morteza Pool (2012), “Effects of titanium dioxide nanopowder on rheological properties of self compacting concrete” Journal of American Science 2012;8(4):285-288.
- Salami N, Behfarnia K and Zaree S.A (2014), “Effect of nanoparticles on frost durability of concrete”, Asian journal of civil engineering (bhrc) vol. 15, no. 3 (2014) pages 411-420.
- Shadi Fathi, Ehsan Mohsani and Mehdi Zadshir (2014), “Rheological, mechanical and durability properties of self-compacting mortar containing nano-TiO2 and fly ash”, Journal of American Science 2014;10(11), pages 222-228.
- Zhenyu Wang, Enhou Han, and Wei KE (2007), “Thermal Behavior of Nano-TiO2 in Fire-Resistant Coating” J. Mater. Sci. Technol., Vol.23 No.4, 2007.
- Jeyapalan R, Yeon Lee and Kimberly E. “Influence of Nano-Anatase Titanium Dioxide on Cement Hydration: Experiments and Modelling”
- Titanium dioxide manufactures association, “About titanium dioxide”.
- IS (Indian standard) (1982) IS 10262 – 1982 : recommended guidelines for concrete mix design, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1982) IS 456-2000: plain and reinforced concrete code of practice, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1959) IS 1199 – 1959: method of sampling and analysis of concrete, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1959) IS 516 – 1959 : method of concrete for strength of concrete, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.