Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EFFECT AND STRENGTH BEHAVIOUR STUDY OF CONCRETE ON USING LOW DENSITY AGGREGATES
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 167-170
Abstract – Structural lightweight aggregate concrete is an important and versatile material, which offers a range of technical, economic and environmental enhancing aspects. A decreased density for the same strength level reduces the self-weight, foundation size and construction costs. Structural lightweight aggregate concrete is generally used to reduce dead weight of structure as well as to reduce the risk of earthquake damages to a structure because the earthquake forces that will influence the civil engineering structures are proportional to the mass of those structures . The focus of present study explores the strength and durability properties of light weight aggregate concrete. Two varied types of light weight aggregates namely vermiculite and perlite is been partially replaced with coarse aggregate. Three different multistage mixing approaches were adopted with these two Light Weight Aggregates by various percentages (of weight), 15%, 20% & 25%, to replace coarse aggregates. The effects on using light weight concrete is studied by workability, compressive strength & split tensile strength.
Keywords— Light Weight Concrete; Vermiculite Aggregate; Perlite Aggregate; Material Preoperties; Hardened Properties
- Dayalan J and Buellah “Internal Curing of Concrete Using Prewetted Light Weight Aggregates”, Vol. 3, Issue 3, March 2014.
- Demirbog, Ramazan ,Orung, Ibrahim “Effects of expanded perlite aggregate and mineraladmixtures on the compressive strength of low-density concretes”, Cement and Concrete Research 31 1627-1632.
- D. C. L. Teo, M. A. Mannan, and V. J. Kurian(2006), “Structural concrete using Oil Palm Shell (OPS) as lightweight aggregate,” international Journal of Engineering and Environmental Sciences, vol. 30,pp. 1–7.
- Hwang C.L., Hung M.F.(2005), “Durability Design and Performance of Self-Consolidating Lightweight Concrete”, Construction and Building Materials,Vol. 19, pp. 619-626.
- Henglong Zhang, Hongbin Xu, Xiaoliang Wang, Jianying Yu “Microstructures and thermal aging mechanism of expanded vermiculite modified bitumen” Construction and Building Materials, Volume47, October2013, Pages 919-926.
- IS (Indian standard) (1982) IS 10262 – 1982 : recommended guidelines for concrete mix design, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1982) IS 456-2000: plain and reinforced concrete code of practice, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1959) IS 1199 – 1959: method of sampling and analysis of concrete, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- IS (Indian Standard) (1959) IS 516 – 1959 : method of concrete for strength of concrete, bureau of Indian standards, New delhi.
- Khonsari, Eslami ,Anvari “Effects Of Expanded Perlite Aggregate (EPA) On The Mechanical Behaviour Of Lightweight Concrete”2010 Korea Concrete Institute, ISBN 978-89-5708-182.
- Karla CechBarabaszova, Marta Valaskova(2013), “Characterization of vermiculite particles after different milling techniques”,Powder Technology, Vol. 239,Pages 277-283.
- Khandaker M., Hossain A.(2004), “Properties of Volcanic Pumice Based Cement and Lightweight Concrete”, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 34,pp. 283-291.
- Michael Golias and fatithozcan “Absorption And Desorption Properties Of Fine Lightweight Aggregate For Application To Internally Cured Concrete Mixtures” Volume47, October2013.
- N. Sivalinga Rao, Y. RadhaRatnaKumari, V. Bhaskar Desai, B.L.P. Swami(2013), “Fibre Reinforced Light Weight Aggregate (Natural Pumice Stone) Concrete”, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research Vol. 4, Issue 5,ISSN 2229-5518.
- OlaosebikanFolorunso, Christopher Dodds, Georgios Dimitrakis, Samuel Kingman(2012), “Continuous energy efficient exfoliation of vermiculite through microwave heating”, International Journal of Mineral Processing,Vol. 114–117,Pages 69-79.
- Praveen Kumar,Manojjkumar , Prakash K , Siddesh K Pai “Experimental Study Of Vermiculite Insulated Samples With Conventional Samples In Construction Industry”International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology ,ISSN: 2319-1163.
- PoornimaBharathi S, GopiR ,Revathi V “Strength And Durability Studies On Self Compacting Self Curing Concrete Using Lightweight Aggregates”, Integrated Journal of Engineering Research and Technology Issn No. 2348 – 6821.
- Saradhi and ganeshbabu “Behaviour of lightweight expanded polystyrene concrete containing silica fume”vol 23,april 2001.
- Xiang Li, Bingrong Lei, Zhidan Lin, Langhuan Huang, ShaozaoTan, Xiang Cai(2013), “The utilization of organic vermiculite to reinforce wood–plastic composites with higher flexural and tensile properties”, Industrial Crops and Products, Vol. 51,Pages310-316 .