Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : INVESTIGATIONS ON CONCRETE WITH RECYCLED CONCRETE AS COARSE AGGREGATE
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 180-185
Abstract – Use of recycled aggregate in concrete can be useful for environmental protection and economical terms. In India, a huge quantity of construction and demolition wastes is produced every year. These waste materials need a large place to dump and hence the disposal of wastes has become a problem. And the continuous use of natural resources for making conventional concrete leads to the reduction in their availability and results in the increase of the cost of the coarse aggregate and fine aggregate.In addition to the environmental benefits in reducing the demand of land for disposing the waste, the recycling of demolition wastes can also help to conserve the natural resources. When recycled coarse aggregate is used in structural concrete, the assessment of physical, mechanical and durable characteristics of recycled coarse aggregate is very important. The physical and mechanical properties of natural aggregate and recycled aggregates are characterised.The experimental investigation was done on different grades of concrete (M25 and M35). A control specimenwas created with 0% of recycled aggregates and this specimen was compared with different concrete mixes of different percentages of recycled aggregates. Recycled coarse aggregate is added in different amounts such as 20%,40%,60%,80% and 100%. Cube compressive strength and cylinder compressive strength of concrete made with recycled concrete aggregates are evaluated. A total of 72 cubes (150 mm), and 72 cylinders (150 mm diameter and 300 mm height) are used to determine the compressive strength. As the amount of RCA added is increased, the strength of the specimen decreased proportionally. Properties of materials used for the thesis were found out by doing several lab tests.the properties of Recycled concrete aggregate is similar to the properties of Natural aggregate. From experimental tests conducted, it is observed that the Optimum percentage of RCA to be added lies between 20% and 40%. Thus, the possible use of RCA at this optimum amount helps to conserve natural resources and reduces the land needed for the disposal of waste aggregates.
Keywords— Recycled concrete aggregate, Natural resources, Optimum percentage, Physical properties, Mechanical properties, Experimental tests
- Hemalatha B.R.,”Construction and demolition waste recycling for sustainable growth and development”, Journal of Environmental research and development, 2008.
- Jian Yin.et.al., “Research and Application of Recycled Aggregate Concrete”, ASCE, 2010.
- Ishtiyaq Gull, “Testing of strength of recycled waste concrete and its applicability”,ASCE,2011
- S. F. U. Ahmed, “Properties of Concrete Containing Construction and Demolition Wastes and Fly Ash”, ASCE, 2013.
- Sallehan Ismail., “Engineering properties of treated recycled aggregates (RCA) for structural applications”, Construction and building materials, 2013.
- Praveen Mathew.et.al., “Recycled Aggregate Concrete, a Sustainable Option from Demolition Concrete Waste-A Percentage Replacement Method”, IJIRSET ,2014.
- Shivakumar, M.N.et.al.,“Use of building demolished waste as coarse aggregate in porous concrete”, IJRET, 2014.
- C.Mazzotti.et.al.,”Role of recycled concrete aggregates on the long-term behavior of structural concrete “, ASCE, 2014.
- Manish Kumar Singh, Dilip Kumar, “Utilization of Demolished Concrete and Construction Waste as Coarse Aggregate in Concrete”,IJESRT, 2014.
- Mahdi Arezoumandi.et.al, “An experimental study on flexural strength of reinforced concrete beams with 100% recycled concrete aggregate”, Engineering Structures,2015.