Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : STRENGTH STUDIES ON SPECIAL CONCRETE BEAMS USING BOTTOM ASH AS PARTIAL REPLACEMENT OF FINE AGGREGATE
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 192-195
Abstract – Concrete is the most important engineering material and the addition of some other materials may change the properties of concrete. Studies have been carried out to investigate the possibility of utilizing a broad range of materials as partial replacement materials for cement and aggregate in the production of concrete. Cement is a by-product of the natural resources is at a high requirement, which is both economically and environmentally backward. Taking up this issue and considering various supplementary materials, of which fly ash and bottom ash on combination provides much better statistics. The present experimental study was conceived following the general purpose of testing new sustainable building processes and modern production systems, aims not only at saving natural raw materials and reducing energy consumption, but also to recycle industrial by-products. This paper explains the experimental investigation of partial replacement of sand with bottom ash and constant 20% replacement of fly ash with cement and by using water reducing agent as a superplasticizer.The physical properties and mechanical properties are determined by various tests such as compressive strength test, split tensile strength test, flexural strength test. According to references partial replacement of 0-40% has been done previously. This study includes the strength characteristics of fine aggregate with bottom ash on varying percentages like 40%, 50%, 60% and 70% of fresh and hardened properties on 7 days & 28 days strength.
Keywords— Bottom Ash Concrete, Material Properties, Hardened Concrete Properties
- IS: 456-2000 (reaffirmed 2005) “Plain and Reinforced Concrete – Code of Practice”, Fourth Revision, pp.14
- IS: 10262-2009. Concrete mix proportioning-Guidelines. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards;
- Shetty 2005, concrete techonology, S. Chand & Company Ltd. New Delhi.
- IS: 3812-1981, Specification for fly ash for use as pozzolana and admixture, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS: 383-1970 (reaffirmed 1997) “Specification for Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Source for Concrete”, New Delhi.
- IS: 8112:2013, Specification for Ordinary Portland Cement,43 Grade (Second Revision).
- Abdulhameed Umar Abubakar , KhairulSallehBaharudin (2012) “Properties of concrete using tanjung bin power Plant coal bottom ash and fly ash” International Journal of Sustainable Construction Engineering & Technology (ISSN: 2180-3242) Vol 3, Issue 2, 2012.
- Bai Y, Basheer PAM. Influence of furnace bottom ash on properties of concrete Iceproceedings, structures and buildings, special issue new materials and new uses of forold materials 2003; 156(1): pp 85–92.
- C.Mathiraja (2013) “Mechanical Properties of concrete using bottom ash and M.Sand”.International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology (IJLTET),2013.
- DjwantoroHardjito.C and Shaw ShenFung(2009) Parametric study on the properties of geopolymer mortar incorporating bottom ash selected paper from the Asia PacificStructural Engineering Conference, APSEC.
- Ghafoori, N., Cai, Y., and Ahmadi, B. (1997), Use of dry bottom ash as a fine aggregatein roller compacted concrete, ACI Spec. Publ. (SP-171) pp. 487– 507.
- Ghafoori, N., Cai, Y. (1998), Laboratory-made roller compacted concretes cointaining dry bottom ash: part ii-long-term durability, ACI Materials Journal,Vol. 95, No. 3, pp.244-251.
- IlkerBekirTopcu, MehmetCanbaz, Effect of different fibers on the mechanical properties of concretecontaining fly ash, Construction and Building Materials, (2007) 1486– 1491.
- IS 10262-1982 recommended guide lines for concrete mix design.
- IS 8112:189, Specification for 43 grades OPC, reaffirmed 1997. Properties of High-calcium Dry Bottom Ash Concrete, ACI Materials Journal,(1997)pp.90-101.
- Kazuhiro Hasezaki, AkifumiNakashita, Gen-yo Kaneko1and Hideaki Kakuda,(2007),Unburned carbon behavior in sintered coal fly-ash bulk material by spark plasmsintering, materials transactions, vol. 48, no. 12 pp. 3062 to 3065, special issue on growth of eco materials as a key to eco society in the japan institute of metals.
- MohdSyahrulHisyam bin MohdSani, FadhluhartinibtMuftah ,ZulkifliMuda (2010)“The Properties of Special Concrete Using Washed Bottom Ash (WBA) as Partial Sand Replacement”. InternationalJournal of Sustainable Construction Engineering & Technology Vol 1, No 2, December 2010.
- M.P.kadam, Dr.Y.D. Patil (2013) “. Effect of coal bottom ash as sand replacement of the properties of concrete with different w/c ratio.” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Civil Engineering,ISSN: 2231 –5721, Volume-2, Issue-1, 2013.
- M.S.Shetty(2013).Concrete Technology,S.Chand& co Publising Company.
- Naik, T.R. and Ramme, B.W., High strength concrete containing large quantities of fly ash, ACI Materials Journal, March‐ April (1989) 111‐ 116.
- P. Aggarwal, Y. Aggarwal, S.M. Gupta (2007) “Effect of bottom ash as replacement of fine Aggregate in concrete.” Asian journal of civil engineering (building and housing) vol. 8, no. 1 (2007) Pages 49-62.