Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : DETECTION OF WATER LEAKS IN PIPE
Volume 03 Issue 08 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 239-241
Abstract – This paper is focuses on detection of water leaks in pipe using fuzzy algorithm. In current correlation technique, it is employed to detect, position, and characterize the water leaks using the leak noise produced. But this technique is proved to be very efficient for only metallic pipes and this method is not true for plastic MDPE pipes. The leak noise signals are measured at two locations across the pipes. The speed of sound will be calculated with good accuracy and in this paper MDPE pipes are evaluated and it has been found that most of the leak signals are tested for MDPE pipes lie in the frequency band of 30 to 250 Hz with the upper frequency limit changes with flow rate ad leak characteristics. In order to find the exact position of the water leaks in pipes, we use fuzzy algorithm. In this paper we can easily find the exact leak position in both metallic and Medium Density Polyethylene pipes (MDPE pipes).
Keywords— Time Delay Estimation for Leak Detection; Wave Propagation; Acoustic Signals; Fourier Transform
- L. C. Cheong, “Unaccounted for Water and the Economics of Leak Detection,” Proceedings of the 18th International Water Supply Congress and Exhibition, Copenhagen Water Supply, 15-31 May 1991.
- A. Colombo and B. Karney, “Energy and Costs of Leaky Pipes: Toward Comprehensive Picture,” Journal of Water ResourcesManagement and Planning, Nov – Dec 2002, vol. 128(6), pp. 441-450,2002.
- UKWIR, “Manual of DMA Practice,” Published by UK Water Industry Research Limited, London, U.K., 1999.
- O. Hunaidi, W. Chu, A. Wang and W. Guan, “Detecting leaks in plastic pipes,” Journal of the American Water Works Association, vol. 92, pp. 82–94, 2000.
- O. Hunaidi and W.T. Chu, “Acoustical characteristics of leak signals in plastic water distribution pipes,” Applied Acoustics, vol. 58, pp. 235–254, 1999.
- M. Pal, N.Dixon, J.A. Flint and S. Datta, “Characterising Leak Signals in Medium Density Polyethylene Pipes,” Proceedings of Nationa Symposium on Acoustics (NSA-2006) held at National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi INDIA, November 16-17, 2006.
- J.M. Muggleton, M.J. Brennan and R.J. Pinnington, “Wavenumber prediction of waves in buried pipes for water leak detection,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 249, pp. 939–954, 2002.
- M. Pal, “Leak Detection and Location in Polyethylene Pipes,” PhD Thesis, Loughborough University, Loughborough, pp. 1-262, 2008.