Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 09 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 69-71
Abstract – From earlier time natural sand is one of the most important construction material. It is found in various sizes depending on the amount of disintegration that has taken place. Due to large scale urbanization there has been a huge demand in the consumption of natural river sand. As such there has been a large scale quarrying of river sand at various locations of a river. However, the sand collected may not be of suitable quality and might not be apt for construction. Hence, an attempt is made to study the engineering properties of the sand of river Brahmaputra and to evaluate their suitability as construction material. The present study concentrates on the engineering properties of the river sand and also its suitability as a road construction material.
Keywords— brahmaputra, river sand, engineering properties, road construction material
- Chakraborty, A., Sharma, N. (2013), Study of river borne coarse aggregates in their natural and crushed form of river Pagladia (Assam) as a road construction material, International Conference on “Sustainable Innovative Techniques In Civil and Environmental Engineering”, June 5-6, 2013, New Delhi, India.
- IS 2386 : Part 2 : 1963 Methods of test for aggregates for concrete Part 2 Estimation of deleterious materials and organic impurities
- IS 2386 : Part 3 : 1963 Methods of test for aggregates for concrete Part 3 Specific gravity, density, voids, absorption and bulking
- IS 2386 : Part 4 : 1963 Methods of test for aggregates for concrete Part 4 Mechanical properties
- IS 2386 : Part I : 1963 Methods of Test for Aggregates for Concrete – Part I : Particle Size and Shape
- IS 2386 : Part VIII : 1963 Methods of Test for Aggregates for Concrete – Part VIII : Petrographic Examination
- IS 2430 : 1986 Methods for Sampling of Aggregates for Concrete
- IS 2720 : Part 1 : 1983 Methods of Test for Soils – Part 1 : Preparation of Dry Soil Samples for Various Tests
- IS 2720 : Part 13 : 1986 Methods of Test for Soils – Part 13 : Direct Shear Test
- IS 2720 : Part 16 : 1987 Methods of Test for Soil – Part 16 : Laboratory Determination of CBR
- IS 2720 : Part 2 : 1973 Methods of test for soils: Part 2 Determination of water content
- IS 2720 : Part 3 : Sec 1 : 1980 Methods of test for soils: Part 3 Determination of specific gravity Section 1 fine grained soils
- IS 2720 : Part 4 : 1985 Methods of Test for Soils – Part 4 : Grain Size Analysis
- IS 2720 : Part 9 : 1992 Methods of test for soils: Part 9 Determination of dry density- moisture content relation by constant weight of soil method
- IS 2720 : Part III : Sec 2 : 1980 Test for Soils – Part III : Determination of Specific Gravity – Section 2 : Fine, Medium and Coarse Grained Soils
- IS 2720 : Part VII : 1980 Methods of Test for Soils – Part VII : Determination of Water Content-Dry Density Relation Using Light Compaction
- IS 383 : 1970 Specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural sources for concrete.
- Rangwala, K.S., (1987), Engineering materials, Charotar Publishing House, Anand, India .
- Ranjan G, Rao A.S.R., Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics, New Age International publishers.
- Shetty M.S., Concrete Technology-Theory and Practice, S.Chand & Company limited, Ram Nagar, New Delhi-110006.
- Verma B.P., Rock Mechanics for Engineers, Khanna Publisher.