Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : APPLICATION OF INDUSTRIAL WASTE (RED MUD) IN THE MANUFACTURING OF SELF COMPACTING CONCRETE
Volume 03 Issue 09 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 98-100
Abstract – Red mud is one of the major solid wastes coming from Bayer process of aluminium production. At present about 3 million tones of red mud is generated annually, which is not being disposed or recycled satisfactorily. The conventional method of disposal of red mud in ponds has often adverse environmental impact and during monsoon, the wastes may be carried by runoff to the surface waters course and a result of leaching may cause contamination of ground water. In spite of the fact that the aluminium production plant produces a great quantity of red mud, such plants are producing aluminium at an increasing rate of 1% per annum since last decade. Red mud is predominantly, a finely powdered mud. It adversely effects the air, land & water environment of surrounding area. With this reference it is desired and greatly needed to utilize the red mud in some way, or recycled. The present paper is an effort towards presenting the design of self-compacting Red mud concretes based on the efficiency concept. This research is carried out for an experimental study of strength and durability properties prepared with OPC for a mix of M40 grade concrete. The main aim of this experimentation is to find out the effect of addition of red mud, on the properties of self compacting concrete containing two admixtures. In this experimentation combinations of admixtures which is taken, Super plasticizer + VMA. The flow characteristics and strength characteristics of self compacting concrete produced from different waste material and different percentages of that material are found. The different percentages of red mud used in experimentation are 0%, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5% and 6%.
Keywords— Self-Compacting Concrete, Industrial Waste, Red Mud, Modified Concrete
- Ouchi, M., M. Hibino, and H. Okamura, “Effect of Superplasticizer on Self-Compactability of Fresh Concrete”, TRR 1574, pp.37-40 (1996).
- Mahindrakar A.B. Research work Study on Red Mud by, KLESCET, Belgaum, 1999 .
- Okamura, H, “Self-Compacting High-Performance Concrete”, Concrete International, pp.50-54 (1997).
- Ozawa, K., “Development of high performance concrete based on the durability design of concrete structures”, EASEC-2, Vol. 1, pp.445-450 (1989).
- Shetty. M. S. Concrete technology, by s.Chand publisher.
- Subramnian.S, chattopadhyay.D, “Experiments for mix proportioning of self compacting concrete”, The Indian Concrete Journal, Jan 2002.
- Bartos, J. M., “Measurement of Key Properties of Fresh Self-compacting Concrete”, CEN/PNR Workshop, Paris (2000) .
- Mauskar, J. M., “Assessement of Utilization of Industrial Solid Waste in Cement Manufacturing” Central Pollution Control board , Delhi (2006).