Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Volume 03 Issue 09 2016
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 20-24
Abstract – Web mining is a very hot research topic which combines two of the activated research areas: Data Mining and World Wide Web. The Web mining research relates to several research communities such as Database, Information Retrieval and Artificial Intelligence. Although there exists quite some confusion about the Web mining, the most recognized approach is to categorize Web mining into three areas: Web content mining, Web structure mining, and Web usage mining. Web content mining focuses on the discovery/retrieval of the useful information from the Web contents/data/documents, while the Web structure mining emphasizes to the discovery of how to model the underlying link structures of the Web. The distinction between these two categories isn’t a very clear sometimes. Web usage mining is relative independent, but not isolated, category, which mainly describes the techniques that discover the user’s usage pattern and try to predict the user’s behaviors. This paper is a survey based on the recently published research papers. Besides providing an overall view of Web mining, this paper will focus on Web usage mining. Generally speaking, Web usage mining consists of three phases: Pre-processing, Pattern discovery and Pattern analysis. A detailed description will be given for each part of them, however, special attention will be paid to the user navigation patterns discovery and analysis. The user privacy is another important issue in this paper. An example of a prototypical Web usage mining system, Web SIFT, will be introduced to make it easier to understand the methodology of how to apply data mining techniques to large Web data repositories in order to extract usage patterns. Finally, along with some other interested research issues, a brief overview of the current research work in the area of Web usage mining is included.
Keywords— Data mining, Pattern Discovery, Web mining
- B. Berendt. Web usage mining, site semantics, and the support of navigation.
- J. Borges and M. Levene. Data mining of user navigation patterns. In Proceedings of the WEBKDD’99 Workshop on Web Usage Analysis and User Profiling, August 15, 1999, San Diego, CA, USA, pages 31-39, 1999.
- R. Cooley, B. Mobasher, and J. Srivastava. Web mining: Information and pattern discovery on the world wide Web. In Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI’97), 1997
- R. Cooley, B. Mobasher, and J. Srivastava. Data preparation for mining world wide Web browsing patterns. Knowledge and Information Systems, 1(1), 1999.
- R. Cooley. Web Usage Mining: Discovery and Application of Interesting Patterns from Web data. PhD thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Minnesota, May 2000.
- R. Cooley. WebSIFT: The Web Site Information Filter System.
- Oren Etzioni. The world wide Web: Quagmire or gold mine. Communications of the ACM, 39(11):65-68, 1996.