Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : OXIDATION OF GLYCOLIC ACID BY CHROMIC ACID IN PRESENCE OF WEAK ACID; A KINETIC AND MECHANISTIC APPROACH
Volume 04 Issue 11 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 15-17
Abstract – Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of Glycolic Acid by Chromic Acid in presence of weak acid (Acetic Acid) has been studied with spectrophotometrically in the temperature range 300K-320K. The rate of the reaction is increases with the increase in the added concentration of Acetic Acid. Kinetics of oxidation of Glycolic Acid by Chromic Acid shows first order reaction. Both kinetics and spectrophotometric results indicates the formation of intermediate Cr (VI) – Hydroxycarboxylate complex. The complex finally decomposes to give reaction products. Glycolic Acid initially produces Glyoxalic Acid which subsequently gives Formic Acid. A mechanism for the reaction is proposed based on the experimental observations. Kinetic parameters such as catalytic constant, temperature coefficient and pH values are calculated.
- B.Mohammed Nawaz,K.Subramni & Mansur Ahamed Kinetic study on oxidation of cobalt (III) complexes of alpha hydroxy acids by imidazolinium dichromate in the presence of micellarmedium. J. Chem. Bio.Phy.Sci.Vol(2)Sec.A.204212.2011
- B.L.Hiran, S.L.Chaplot, V.Joshi, & G.Chaturvedi, “Kinetics of the effect of some bidentate amino acid ligands in the oxidation of lactic acid by chromium (VI) 1,” Kinetics and Catalysis, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 657–661, 2002.
- F.Feigl, Spot Tests in Organic Analysis, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1956.
- Fariza Hassan & Jan Rocek Three electron oxidation.IX. Chromic acid oxidation of glycoloc acid. J.Am. Chem. Soc.97(6) pp.1444-1450. 1975.
- F.H.Westheimer Chem.Rev.83,3022,1958
- H.Kwart and P.S.Francis J.Amer.Chem.Soc.77.4097 1955
- J.Rocek and F.Hassan J.Am.Chem.Soc.,96,534.1974
- G.V.Bakore and S.Narain J.Chem.Soc.3419.1963
- Malik Maqsood Ahmad & Khan Zaheer Effect of Mn(II)Ions on the oxidation of Lactic Acid by Chromic Acid. Acta.Phys. Chim.Sin.Vol.23(7)1013-1017.2007.
- P.C.Samal,B.B.Pattnaik, S.Ch.Dharma Rao & S.N. Mahapatro Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of chromic acid oxidation of lactic acid. Tetr. 39(1)pp.143-147.1983.
- R. J. Kieber & G. R. Helz, “Indirect photo reduction of aqueous chromium (VI),” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 307–312, 1992.
- Sridhar Poloja, Kishore Cholkar Gilles K. Kouassi, David Van Horn, K.S. Rangappa, Netkal M. & Made Gowda. Oxidation of Lactic Acid by Manganese (III) in Sulfuric Acid medium; Kinetics and Mechanism; Am.J.of Org.Chem.2(3)58-62(2012)
- Spencer, J.N., Bodner, G.M., Rickard, L.H., Chemistry structure and dynamics, 5th ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2012.
- S. A. Katz & H. Salem, “The toxicology of chromium with respect to its chemical speciation: a review,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 217–224, 1993.
- T.-S. Shi, J.-T. He, T.-H. Ding, & A.-Z. Wang “Studies of unusual oxidation states of transition metals III-kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of triethanolamine by diperiodatoargenate(III)ion in aqueous alkaline medium,” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 815–823, 1991
- X. C. Fu, W. X. Shen, & T. Y. Yao, Physical Chemistry Advanced Education Press, Beijing, China, 1990.
- Z. Khan, K. Din, & M. Akram, “Kinetics and mechanism of the reduction of chromium (VI) with dimethyl sulfoxide,” Journal of Chemical Research Part S, no. 8, pp. 460–461, 1998.