Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : KINETICS AND MECHANISM OF OXIDATION OF MIXTURE OF OXALIC ACID AND MALIC ACID BY CHROMIC ACID IN PRESENCE OF CHLOROSUBSTITUTED ACETIC ACIDS
Volume 04 Issue 12 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 32-35
Abstract – Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of mixture of Oxalic Acid and Malic Acid by Chromic Acid in presence of chlorosubstitutedacetic acids have been studied with spectrophotometerically in the temperature range 25oC. The reaction rate follows first order kinetics with respect to mixture of Oxalic Acid + Malic Acid, Chromic Acid and Hydrogen ion concentration. In order to rate determination, Ostwald’s isolation method was used. Rate of the reaction is increases with the increase in the added concentration of chlorosubstitutedacetic acids. The probable products of oxidation mixture are Carbon dioxide and Malonic Acid. Kinetic parameters such as rate constant, catalytic constant, dielectric constant, temperature coefficient and pH values are determined at deferent temperatures and different concentration of chlorosubstitutedacetic acids. A probable mechanism for the reaction is proposed based on the experimental observations.
- Asim K Das, Aparna Roy Bidyut Saha & Mahuas Das Co-oxidation of formic and oxalic acids by chromium (VI) in aqueous acid media. A kinetic study. J. Chem. Res.5.334-335 (2001)
- Ansari, A.H. Ph. D. Thesis. B. Uni. Bhopal (1977)
- Ahuja Rashmi Ph. D. Thesis. B. Uni. Bhopal (1995)
- Bhagwat and Yadav J.Ind.Chem.Soc.41(1)2518(1964)
- Bakore, G.V. & Shyam Narain J. Chem. Soc., 3419-3424 (1963)
- B.K.Mishra Ph. D. Thesis B.U. Bhopal (1998).
- D.C.Schroeder &G.F.Lee Potential transformation of Chromium in natural waters. Water air and soil pollution Vol .4 .no.3-4.pp.355-365 (1975)
- Dharmadhikari Ph.D. Thesis Saugor Uni. (1968)
- Fathimajeyanthi G,Vijaykumar G & Elango K.P. J..Serb.Chem.Soc.,67.803(2002)
- Fariza Hassan & Jan Rocek Co oxidation of isopropyl alcohol and oxalic acid by chromic acid. One step three-electron oxidation. J. Am Chem. Soc.94(9)3181-3187(1972)
- F.Feigl .Spot Test in Organic Analysis. R. E .Oesper (Ed) Elsevier, Amsterdam ,(1960)
- H.Y.Shrivastava,T.Ravikimar N.Shanmugsundram.,M.Babu and B.U.Nair Cytotoxicity studies of vChromium (III) Complexes on Human Dermal Fibroblasts .Free Radical Bio. & Med. Vol. 38 .no.01.pp.58-69(2005)
- Jayshree Banerji,Laszlo Kotai & Kalyan K Banrji Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of formic acid and oxalic acid by bis(pyridine) silver permanganate. Ind. J. of Chem. Vol. 48 A (6)797-800 (2009)
- Karl Fischer Ange .Chem. 48 (26) 394-396 (1935)
- Kabir-ud-din, Khaled Hartani & Zaheer Khan Co-oxidation of malic acid and manganese (II) by chromium (VI) in the presence and absence of ionic surfactants. Ind. J. of Chem.Vol.41B (12) 2614-2624 (2002).
- Mamta Mishra, Meghna Dubey, Manish Tigre & B.K.Mishra Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of mixture of oxalic acid and adipic acid by chromic acid in presence of acetic acid. Int. J. of Adv.Res.in Sci. and Engg.Vol.2(10)93-97(2013)
- Mamta Mishra, Manju Singh, Manish Tigre & B.K.Mishra Kinetics of oxidation of mixture of oxalic acid and adipic acid by chromic acid in presence of sodium chloride and potassium chloride. Int. J. of Adv. Res.in Sci. & Engg.Vol.2(10)87-92(2013)
- Mamta Mishra Ph.D.ThesisB.U. Bhopal (2014).
- Maxwell & Boltzman J.Chem.Ed.,69, 554-558 (1992)
- Mahajani A. V. & Bhattacharya Proc. Nat Acad Sci (India) 23, A. 11. 65 (1954)
- P Purohit,S Kumbhani,I Shastri, Kalyan K Banrji & Pradeep K Sharma Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of formic and oxalic acids by tetrakis (pyridine) silver dichromate. Ind. J. of Chem. Vol. 47A (11)1671-1675(2008)
- P.Sanz.,J.L.Moline.,D.Sole and J.Corbella. Nasal septum performance in chromate producing industry in Spain. J .of Occupational Medicine. Vol. 31 .no. 12 .pp. 1013-1014 (1989)
- R.J.Kieber &G.R.Helz Indirect photoreduction of aqueous Chromium(VI).Env.Sci .&Tech.Vol.26.no.2.pp.307-312 (1992)
- R.A.Anderson Chromium is an essential nutrient for humens. Reg. Tox. and Pha.Vol.26.no.1.pp.535-541.(1997)
- S.A.Katz and H.Salem The toxicology of Chromium with respect to its chemical speciations;a review .J.of Applied Toxicology.Vol.13 no.3.pp.217-224(1993)
- Stewart, A. “Oxidation Mechanism” Application to organic Chemistry” W.A. Benjamin Inc. New York N.Y. (1964).
- Tong J.Y. & King E.I. J.Am.Chem.Soc.75.180(1953)
- Waters,W.A., Q.Rev.London,12,287(1958)
- Welhelmy. L. Progg.Am.,91.413,499(1850)
- Westheimer J.Chem. Phys.,17, 61 (1949).
- Zaheer Khan, Athar A. Khan, Lateef Ahamad & M.M.Haq. Kinetics and mechanism of chromic acid oxidation of oxalic acid in absence and presence of different acid media. A kinetic study. Int. Nat. J. of Chem. Kinetics, Vol. 30(5) pp. 335-340 (1998).