Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : “CHANGES IN PROPERTIES OF SOIL DUE TO DISPOSAL OF WASTE”
Volume 04 Issue 02 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 10-13
Abstract – Organic matters have broken down to the smaller size particles of the soil and thus increasing clay size particles. This has resulted in increased plasticity of polluted soil. Liquid limit of polluted soil increases due to more number of smaller size particles present in the soil. Dry density of polluted soil is decreased due to decay of lighter weight organic matters present in the soil. Shear strength parameters of polluted soil also decreased. Angle of internal friction depends on void ratio and shape of particles, decay of organic matters and other pollutants to make the soil particles more granular. It reduces the angle of internal friction but increases the cohesion of the soil. Waste water affects the agricultural properties of the soil. Proper land filling increases the space for extra land filling. Using dynamic compaction light weight construction can be done on filled area. Taking into consideration all these factors, before starting a new civil engineering construction projects on polluted soil, study of changes in properties of soil due to disposal of waste is very essential. With all these factors taking into consideration, the present work deals with changes in geotechnical and agricultural properties of soil due to disposal of wastes. For detailed investigations soil samples from different sites around Ahmednagar are collected. From each site two samples are collected i.e. one from effluent disposal site and another from nearby site which is not affected due to disposal of effluent on land. Geotechnical and agricultural properties of soil samples are tested and compared.
Keywords— O.M.C, M.S.W, C.B.R.
- A. V. Jaltota, D. K. Joshi and S. C. Jain, “Effect of Sanitary Fill Environment on Geotechnical Proportion of Alluvial Soils,” Journal of IPHE India, Volume 4, 1984, pp. 45-52.
- Kulanand Jha, “Soil Pollution Due to Modern Industries”, Journal of the IPHE, India, Volume1, 1986, pp. 49-52.
- Sanjay J. Shah, A.V. Shorff, Jigenesh V. Patel, K.C. Tiwari and D. Ramakrisnan, Stabilization of Fuel Oil Contaminated Soil”, Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Volume 21, No 4, December 2003, pp. 415-427.
- Y.S. Song J.M. Yun W.P. Hong, T.H. Kim, “Investigation of Solid Waste Soil as Road Construction Material”, Environmental Geology Journal, Volume 44,No 2, June 2003, pp. 203 – 209.
- Prasanna and Meedoda Jay N., “Shear Strength and Stress Strain Behavior of Contaminated Soils”, Volume 29, No. 22, 2006, pp. 133-140.
- Habib-ur-Rehman, Sahel N. Abdul Jauwad and Tayyeb Akram, “Geotechnical Behavior of Oil Contaminated Fine Grained Soils”, EJGE paper, No.720, 2007, pp. 1-14.
- R.P Tiwari, M.K. Gupta and R.K. Shrivastava, “Laboratory Studies on Surfactant Enhanced Remediation of Engine Oil Contaminated Soil”, Journal of Indian Geotechnical engineering, Volume 36, No. 4, 2006, pp. 287-298.
- Erdal Coka, “Effect of Fly Ash on Swell Pressure of an Expansive Soil”, EJGE paper, No.10, 1999, pp.1-13.
- B.R. Phani Kumar and Radhey S. Sharma, “Effect of Fly Ash on Engineering Properties of Expansive Soils”, Journal Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Volume 130, No.7, July 2004, pp. 764-767.
- M.Z. Hossian and T. Sakai, “The Use Fullness of Nominal Cement on Bearing Capacity and Modulus of Deformation of Clay Soil”, Second international conference on problematic soils, December 2006, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malayasia, pp. 171-177.
- Musa F. Attom, “The Use of Shredded Waste Tires to Improve the Geotechnical Engineering Properties of Sands,” Journal of Environmental Geology, Volume 49, No. 4, February 2006, pp. 497-503.
- W. Brown, J.A. Blank, BA McCabe, V.S.V.A. Kumar, “Waste Materials in Ground Improvement Applications,” second international conference on problematic soils, December 2006, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malayasia, pp. 101-105.
- O’keeley, “Geotechnical Properties of Municipal Sewages Sludge,” Geotechnical and geological engineering journal, Volume 24, No. 4, August 2006, pp. 833-850.
- Chitehai Anantasech, “Geotechnical Properties of Municipal Solid Waste”, landfill in chiangmai, second international conference on problematic soils, December 2006, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malayasia, pp. 95-105.
- B.K.Sahu and sreevidya Jayarma, “Environmental Impact of Fly Ash Pollution on Life”, Indian Geotechnical Journal, volume 30, No.3, 2000, pp. 86-99.
- B.M. Dee, R.J. Haynes, M.H. Graham, “Changes in Soil Acidity and the Size and Activity of the Microbial Biomass in Response to the Addition of Sugar Mill Wastes,” Springer link journal article, February 2004, pp. 47-54.
- H. Veeresh, S. Tripathy, D. Chaudhuri, B. Ghosh, B. Harts, M. Powell, “Changes in Physical and Chemical Properties of three Soil type in India An – A Result of Amendment with Fly Ash and Sewage Sludge”, Environmental Journal Volume 43, No.5, 2003, pp. 513-250.
- Renurani M.M., Srivastava and I.P. Saxsena, “Effect of Distillery Waste on Seed Germination”, Indian Journal of Environmental Engineering Health, Volume 30, No. 4, 1999, pp. 420-422.
- Diah Setyorini, Tini Prihatini and undang kuria, “Pollution of Soil by Agricultural and Industrial Waste”, center for soil and Agroclimate Research and development Bogor, Indonesia, Annual report, 2002, pp. 1-10.
- B.D. Tripathi, R.K. Dwivedi and Anamika Tripthi, “Influence of Industrial Wastes on Physicochemical Properties of Soil and Germination And Mineral Composition of Wheat”, Volume 49, No.2, 1990, pp. 107-112.
- I.A. Ogboghodo, Ek. Iruaga, I.O Osemwota and J.U. Chokor, “An Assessment of the Effects of Crude Oil Pollution of Soil Properties, Germination and Growth of Maize using two Crude Types”, Environment monitoring and assessment Journal, Volume 96 , No.3, 2000, pp. 143-152.
- I.A. Ogboghodo, U.F. Azenabor, I.O. Osemwota, “Amelior Alion of A Crude Oil Polluted Soil with Poultry Manure and the Effects on Growth of Maize and Some Soil Properties”, Volume 28, 2005, pp. 21-32.
- Osaigbovo, Agbonsalo vlamen and orhue and Ehi Robert, “Influence of Pharmaceutical Effluent on Some Soil Chemical Properties and Early Growth of Maize”, African J. of biotech, Volume 55, No. 12, 2006, pp. 1612-1617.
- C.R. Phillips and J.S. Nathwani, “Development of A Soil Waste Interaction Matrix for Assessing Land Disposal of Industrial Wastes”, Journal of Water Research, Volume 11, 1977, pp. 859-868.
- M.C. Wang, Member, ASCE and J.Q. Hull, “Engineering Behavior of Water Treatment Sludge”, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Volume 118, No.6, 1992, pp. 848-883.
- Horace K. Moo Young and Thomas F.Zimmie, “Geotechnical Properties of Paper Mill Sludges for use in Land Fill Covers” Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 1996, pp. 768-775.
- Hoe I Ling, Dov Lesh chinsky, Yoshiyuki Mohri and Toshinori Kawabata, “Estimation of Municipal Solid Waste Land Fill Settlement”, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, January 1998, pp. 21- 24.
- A.D.Patil and A.D. Bhide, “Codisposal of Hazardous Waste with Municipal Solid Waste”, Indian J. Environmental health, volume 33, No.1, 1199, pp. 59-61.
- James E. Shelton, 1991 “Using Municipal Solid Waste Compost”, Volume 19, No. 439, 1991, pp. 1-4.
- I.R. Willett and P. Jakobesen 1986, “Fertilizing Properties of Trout Farm Waste”, Agricultural wastes, Volume 17, 1986, pp. 7-13.
- Robert P. Anex, November, “Optimal Waste Decomposition Landfill as Treatment Process”, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 1996, pp. 964 – 975.
- M.A.N. Anikew, K.C.A. Nwobodo, “Long Term Effect of Municipal Waste Disposal on Soil Properties and Productivity of Sites Used for Urban Agriculture in Abakaliki, Nigeria”, Bioresource Technology, Volume 83, 2002, pp. 241-250.
- Carmine Crecchio, Magda Curci, Mlria D.R. Pizzigallo, Patrizia Ricciuti, Pacifico Ruggiero, “Effect of Municipal Solid Waste Compost Amendments on Soil Enzyme Activities and Bacterial Genetic Diversity”, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, volume 36, 2004, pp. 1595-1605.
- J.A.Daji, “Soil Science”, Media promoters and Publishers ,1985, pp.218 – 221
- B.C.Punmia and Ashok Kumar Jain, “Waste Water Engineering”, Laxmi Publications (P) Ltd, 1977, pp.555 – 568.
- Ir. Kenny Yee, “Upgrading of Existing Landfills by Dynamic Consolidation A Geotechnical Aspect”, 2000, pp. 1-23.
- Punmia B.C., “Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering”, Laxmi Publications, New Delhi, 1996, pp. 3-11, 12-29, 119-129,439-510.
- I.S.2720 part V, “Liquid Limit and Plastic Limit Test”, 1985.
- I.S. 2720 part II, “Water Contends by Oven Dry Method, Natural Dry Density and Natural Moisture Content”, 1973.
- I.S. 2720 part VIII, “Compaction Test”, 1973.
- I.S. 2720 part XIII, “Direct Shear Test”, 1973.
- B.J. Kasmalkar, “Foundation Engineering”, Pune Vidyarth Griha Prakashan, Pune, 1992, pp. 123-125