Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : DEVELOPING AGRICULTURE TO TACKLE THE UNDERLYING CAUSES OF CIVIL CONFLICTS IN WEST AFRICA- A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA A NEW DIMENSION TO PEACE BUILDING
Volume 04 Issue 02 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 14-21
Abstract – Since 1960, West Africa has had to grapple with one continuous issue that has threatened her continuity and survival as a regional political unit – the issue of civil conflicts. This paper addresses two related topics: 1) The causes of civil conflicts in West Africa and impact of civil conflicts on West Africa with emphasis on Nigeria and 2) how developing the agricultural sector can address the root causes of civil conflicts in West Africa. The paper proceeds to attribute the causes of civil conflicts to poverty while other factors like unemployment, inequality, food insecurity can also be catalysts for conflict. If done right, massive and proper investments in agriculture can also address the underlying factors in protracted crisis, enhance stability and provide peace dividends, reduce conflict drivers such as horizontal inequalities, enhance social cohesion, rebuild social trust as well as build the legitimacy and capacity of governments in West Africa.
Keywords— Conflict, Food Insecurity, Poverty, Protracted, Dividends
- Aremu., J. 2010. Conflicts in Africa: Meaning, Causes, Impact and Solution (Pp.549-560)
- Berman, E 2009 Radical, Religious, and Violent: The New Economics of Terrorism. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Bezemer, D and Derek H 2008 ‘Agriculture, Development, and Urban Bias’. In World Development 36 (8): 1342–1364.
- Christiaensen, L., L. Demery, and J. Kuhl. 2011. “The (Evolving) Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction: An Empirical Perspective.” Journal of Development Economics 96(2): 239-254.
- Collier, P, Elliott, V L, Hegre, H, Hoeffler, A, Reynal-Querol, M and Sambanis, N 2003 Breaking the Conflict Trap: Civil War and Development Policy. Oxford: Oxford University.
- Elizabeth J. Rushing , Joe Read. Nigeria2014: multiple displacement crises overshadowed by Boko Haram.
- Food and Agriculture Organization 2009 Crop Prospects and Food Situation No. 4. Rome: FAO.
- Global Coalition for Africa (2004).African Social and Economic Trends, 2003/2004, Washington, D.C
- Haughton, J., and S.R. Khandler. 2009. Handbook on poverty and inequality. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Hendrix, C and Brinkman, H 2013 Food Insecurity and Conflict Dynamics: Causal Linkages and Complex Feedbacks. Stability: International Journal of Security & Development, 2(2): 26, pp. 1-18
- Hoddinott, J., J.A. Maluccio, J.R. Behrman, R. Flores, and R. Martorell. 2008. “Effect of a Nutrition Intervention During Early Childhood on Economic Productivity in Guatemalan Adults.” The Lancet 371(9610): 411-416
- Instituto Del Tercer Mundo (1977).The World Guide, 1997/98, Oxford, New Internationalist Publications Ltd.
- Krishna., A. Insurgency in the Contemporary World: Some Theoretical Aspects-Part II
- Mellor, J. 1966. The Economics of Agricultural Development. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Obi, C. (2006), “Terrorism in West Africa: Real, Emerging or Imagined Threats,” Africa Security Review, 15(3):87-101.
- Reno., W 2011 Warfare in Independent Af¬rica. Cambridge University Press.
- Scanlan, S J and Jenkins, J C 2001 ‘Military Power and Food Security: A Cross-Nation¬al Analysis of Less-Developed Countries, 1970–1990’. In International Studies Quarterly 45 (1): 159–187.
- UN (United Nations). 1943. “United Nations Conference on Food and Agriculture: Text of Final Act. “American Journal of International Law 37(4, suppl.): 159-192.
- United Nations (2004) UNHCR 2004 Global Refugee Trends.
- United Nations. 2011. The Millennium Development Goals Report 2011. New York: United Nations.
- UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund). 1990. Strategy for improved Nutrition of Children and Women in Developing Countries. UNICEF policy Review E/ICEF/1990/L.,6. New York: United Nations Children’s Fund.
- Violence in Nigeria. http://www.Globalsecurity.org
- Webb, P., and S. Block. 2010. “Support for Agriculture During Economic Transformation: Impacts on Poverty and Undernutrition. “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States Doi: 10.1073/pnas.0913334108.
- World Bank. 2007. World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- World Bank2011 World Development Re¬port 2011: Conflict, Security, and Develop¬ment. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- World Bank. 2012a. Global Monitoring Report 2012: Food Prices, Nutrition, and the Millennium Development Goals. Washington DC: World Bank.
- 2012b. Food Price Watch. http:/go.worldbank.org/JA4CUPKLJ0. April 2012.
- 2012c. Poverty and Inequality Analysis Portal. http:/go.worldbank.org/VFPEGF7FU0. Accessed January 3, 2012.