Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : STUDY OF FACE AUTHENTICATION USING EUCLIDEAN AND MAHALANOBIS DISTANCE CLASSIFICATION METHOD
Volume 04 Issue 02 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 30-34
Abstract – In face recognition feature extraction and classification are the two aspects to be focused. In principle component analysis (PCA) based face recognition technique, the 2D face image matrices must be previously transformed in to one dimensional image vectors. In this paper two dimensional principle component analysis(2DPCA) is used to extract the features. Comparing to conventional principle component analysis, two dimensional principle component analysis is based on 2D matrices rather than 1D vectors. The image matrix is formed directly using original image matrices Recognition rate seems to be higher using two dimensional principle component analysis. The Mahalanobis distance is a metric which is better adapted than the usual Euclidean distance to settings involving non spherically symmetric distribution. Recall, precision, fmeasure, recognition rate are calculated and the results are analyzed for Oracle Research Laboratory (ORL) database and for the database taken using normal digital camera. This paper includes the comparison of Euclidean and Mahalanobis Distance classification methods and analyzes the results.
Keywords –Fmeasure , Precision, Recall, Recognition rate, Two dimensional principle component analysis(2DPCA)
- Zhao, W., Chellappa, R., Rosenfeld, A., Phillips, Face Recognition: “A Literature Survey”, ACM Computing Surveys, pp. 399-458, 2003.
- P. Sinha, B. Balas, Y. Ostrovsky, R. Russell, Face Recognition by Humans: 19 Results All Computer Vision Researchers Should Know About, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 94, No. 11,, pp. 1948-1962, 2006.
- Zhu, Y., De Silva, L.C., and Ko, C.C. “Using moment invariants and HMM in facial expression recognition”, (2000).
- Marijeta Slavkovic, Dubravka Jevtic,“Face Recognition using Eigenface Approach” ,Serbian Journal Of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, February 2012, 121-130
- Jian Yang, David Zhang, Senior Member, IEEE Alejandro F. Frangi, and Jing-yu Yang., “Two-Dimensional PCA: A New Approach to Appearance-Based Face Representation and Recognition”,IEEE Transactions On Pattern Analysis And Machine Intelligence, Vol. 26, No. 1, January 2004
- L.Sirovich and M. Kirby, “Low-Dimensional Procedure for Characterization of Human Faces,” J. Optical Soc. Am., Vol. 4, pp. 519-524, 1987.
- M. Kirby and L. Sirovich, “Application of the KL Procedure for the Characterization of Human Faces,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 103-108, January 1990.
- Sanguansat, W. Asdornwised, S. Jitapunkul S.Marukatat, ”Two-dimensional linear discriminant analysis of principal component Vectors for face recognition”, IEEE, 2006.
- Rafael C. Gonzalez and Richard E. Woods.“Digital image processing”, Second Edition, published by Pearson Education, 2003.
- Huang, et al., “Universal Approximation Using Incremental Networks with Random Hidden Computational Nodes”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 879-892, 2006.
- Liang, et al., “A Fast and Accurate On-line Sequential Learning Algorithm for Feed forward Networks IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 1411-1423, 2006.
- Pentland.A, “Looking at People: Sensing for Ubiquitous and Wearable Computing,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 107-119, January 2000.
- Anil K.Jain, Robert P.W.Duin. Statistical pattern recognition: A Review. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol.22, No.1, 2000.