Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : INVESTIGATION OF ALUMINIUM REINFORCED TUNGSTEN CARBIDE AND FLY ASH COMPOSITE PROPERTIES
Volume 04 Issue 03 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 14-17
Abstract – Metal matrix composites are formed by combination of two or more materials (at least one of the material is metal) having dissimilar characteristics. In this present investigation, Aluminium (Al 6061) as base matrix metal and tungsten carbide (WC) particulate, fly ash as reinforcements. Fabrication of MMCs was done by stir-casting process. The Tungsten Carbide particulate was added in proportions of 1%, 2%, and 3% and Fly ash was added in proportions of 2%, 4%, and 6% on mass fraction basis to the molten metal. The different combination sets of composites were prepared. Mechanical properties like tensile strength and hardness were studied for both reinforced and unreinforced Al 6061 samples. Microstructure examination was carried by using Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) to obtain the distribution of tungsten carbide particulate and fly ash in base matrix. From the results, it was found that the tensile strength and the hardness of the prepared metal matrix composites increased with increase in tungsten carbide and fly ash content. The Scanning Electron Micrographs of the samples indicated uniform distribution of tungsten carbide and fly ash particles in the base matrix without voids before testing and with voids after testing.
Keywords – Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite, Tungsten Carbide, Fly Ash, Stir-Casting, Mechanical Properties, SEM
- S Jerry Andrews Fabian, B. Selvam, “Densification behaviour of Aluminium reinforced with Tungsten Carbide particulate Metal Matrix Composite processed by P/M”, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE), PP 24-29.
- Amarnath.G, K.V. Sharma, “Microstructure and tribological properties of nanoparticulate WC/Al metal matrix composites”, International journal of mechanical engineering and technology (ijmet), Volume 4, Issue 2, pp. 178-188 March – April 2013.
- Hari Prasada Rao Pydi, Balamurugan Adhithan, A.Syed Bava Bakrudeen ,“Microstructure Exploration of the Aluminum-Tungsten Carbide Composite with different Manufacturing circumstances”, International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE) ISSN: 2231-2307, Volume-2, Issue-6, January 2013.
- Arun Kumar M. B, R. P. Swamy, “Evaluation of mechanical properties of Al6061, Flyash and E-glass fiber reinforced hybrid Metal matrix composites”, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, VOL. 6, NO. 5, pp. 40-44, May 2011.
- Deepak Singla, S.R. Mediratta, “Evaluation of mechanical properties of Al 7075-fly ash composite material”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 4, April 2013.
- H.C. Anilkumar, H.S. Hebbar, K.S. Ravishankar, “Mechanical properties of fly ash reinforced aluminium alloy (al6061) composites”, International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (IJMME), Vol.6, No.1, 41-45, 2011.
- Lloyd D.J. and Brotzen F.R., “Particle reinforced aluminium and Mg matrix composites” Int. Mater. Rev; 39,1-39, 1994.
- Rajeshkumar Gangaram Bhandare, Parshuram M. Sonawane, “Preparation of Aluminium Matrix Composite by Using Stir Casting Method”, International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT) ISSN: 2249 – 8958, Volume-3, Issue-2, December 2013.
- G.N.Lokesh, M.Ramachandra, K.V.Mahendra, T.Sreenith, “Effect of Hardness, Tensile and Wear Behavior of Al-4.5wt%Cu Alloy/Flyash/SiC Metal Matrix Composites”, International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) , Vol.3, Issue.1, pp-381-385, Jan-Feb. 2013.