Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EFFECT OF VERTICAL LOAD ON THE LATERAL BEHAVIOUR OF PILE
Volume 04 Issue 03 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 201-204
Abstract –The laboratory and field test data on the response of piles under the combined action of vertical and lateral loads is rather limited. The current practice for design of piles is to consider the vertical and lateral loads independent of each other. This paper presents the effect of vertical load on the behaviour of a single pile under lateral load through laboratory experiments on aluminium pipe piles with outer diameter of 25 mm and internal diameter of 19mm. Pile was driven in poorly graded sand with 60% relative density. Influence of constant magnitude of vertical load (in range of 20%, 40%, 60% and 80% of Experimental Ultimate Vertical Load) on the lateral response of pile under free head condition for slenderness ratio of 10 was studied. Pile was instrumented with dial gauges to measure deflection at top of pile. The model test results have shown that the influence of vertical loads on the lateral response of piles is to significantly increase the capacity in sandy soil. The test results are compared with the results from the literature and are found to be in favourable agreement.
Keywords – Pile Load Test, Lateral Load, Combined Load, Lateral Load Test
- S. Karthigeyan, V. V. G. S. T. Ramakrishna, and K. Rajagopal “Numerical investigation of the effect of vertical load on the lateral response of piles”, Journal of Geo technical And Geo environmental Engineering-ASCE; May 2007; 133(5), 512-521.
- G Shailesh R. Gandhi, S. Selvam “Group effect on driven piles under lateral load”, Journal Of Geo technical and Geo environmental Engineering-ASCE August 1997; 123; 702-709.
- Mahmoud N. Hussien, Tetsuo Tobita, Susumu Iai, Mourad Karray “On the influence of vertical loads on the lateral response of pile foundation”, Computers and Geo technics- Elsevier; September 2014; 55; 392–403.
- Lianyang Zhang, Francisco Silva, and Ralph Grismala,” Ultimate Lateral Resistance to Piles in Cohesionless Soils”, Journal of Geo technical and Geo environmental Engineering-ASCE; January 2005; 131(1): 78-83.
- IS 2911_4: Code of Practice for Design and Construction of Pile Foundations (Part 4-Load Test on Piles)