Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : COMPARISON STUDY OF STABILIZATION OF HIGHLY SWELLING SOIL USING NON-CONVENTIONAL STABILIZING AGENT
Volume 04 Issue 03 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 239-241
Abstract –Soil stabilization aims at increasing or maintaining the stability of soil mass and chemical alteration of soils to enhance their Engineering Properties of either subsoil layers before laying any structure on it. Infrastructure and industrialization serves as a back bone for a country’s economy. However due to rapid industrialization there exist a problem in the form of waste accumulation and subsequent problems due to their disposal & effects of waste. This journal deals with the comparative study of soil stabilization. Unsuitable sub grade soil requires stabilization to improve its properties. Industrial waste is used as raw materials where it can no longer be reused in the industry and it is termed as industrial waste. In this study, attempts were made to improve the Engineering properties of Highly Swelling Soil using Steel slag as a byproduct of steel industry, lime, sodium silica. The stabilizers were added singly or combined at a proportion of 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, and 5%. This project is planned to determine the properties of specific gravity, sieve analysis, proctor compaction test, Unconfined compressive strength, shear test and CBR test. From the results optimum moisture content of admixture for improvement is suggested and could improve their properties.
Keywords – Plasticity Index, Unconfined Compressive Strength, California Bearing Ratio, Sodium Silicate, Soil Stabilization, Asbestos, Lime
- Ahmedzade P, Sengoz B, Evaluation of steel slag coarse aggregate in hot mix asphalt concrete, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 165(1-3), (2009),300–305, DOI 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.09.105.
- Akinwumi II, Adeyeri JB, Ejohwomu OA, E_ects of Steel Slag Addition on the Plasticity, Strength, and Permeability of Lateritic Soil, International Conference of Sustainable Design, Engineering and Construction 2012, In:Chong WKO, Gong J, Chang J, Siddiqui MK(eds.), ICSDEC 2012, ICSDEC Conference Proceedings, American Society of Civil Engineers; Texas,United States, 2013, pp. 457–464, DOI 10.1061/9780784412688.055.
- Poh H.Y, Gurmel S. Ghataora, NizarGhazireh, “Soil Stabilization Using Basic Oxygen Steel Slag Fines,” in ASCE, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 2, ISSN: 0899-1561/2006/2-229–240.
- Lavanya.c, SreeramaRao A, Darga Kumar N, “A Review On Utilization Of Copper Slag In Geo technical Applications,” in Indian Geo technical Conference, December 15-17,2011, Kochi (Paper No.H-212).
- IS 2720: Part 5: 1985 Methods of Test for Soils Part 5: Determination of Liquid and Plastic limit.
- IS 2720: Part 7: 1987 Methods of Test for Soils- Part 7: Determination of water Content and Dry Density Relation Using Light Compaction.
- IS 2720: Part 16: 1987 Methods of Test for Soil – Part 16: Laboratory Determination of CBR.