Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : ASSESSEMENT OF GROUND WATER QUALITY IN TIRUPPUR BY USING GIS SOFTWARE
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 66-68
Abstract – Water is the basic element of social and economic infrastructure and is essential for healthy society and sustainable development. In human society, depletion of groundwater has been the major concern. of the paper is to preserve and maintain balanced ecology with sustainment in groundwater. Hydro chemical study is a front line parameter to determine the quality of water for end users. The study for the same has been carried on the ground water by collecting groundwater samples in Tiruppur. A total number of 20 samples were collected and analyzed. The samples were subjected to a comprehensive physico-chemical analysis of parameters such as pH, Electrical Conductivity, Turbidity, Chloride, TDS, TSS, Iron, Sodium, TS, Fluoride. Geographical information system has been used to map the sampling area. The co-ordinates in terms of latitude and longitude of the sampling locations were recorded with the help of global positioning system. Predominant factors that govern the hydro line geo chemistry of groundwater in study area was identified and analysed. Classification methods are used to classify the water quality regulating factors. Poor water quality has been observed in commercial zone of study area.
Keywords— GIS, Groundwater quality, Physico-chemical parameters, Drinking water, Water quality, Drinking water standards
- HaieNaim, Gaspar Machado JBQA, Rui Pereira M, Andrew Keller A(2011) Effective efficiency in water resources management using efficiency elasticity index. Water Environ J 25:532–539Hem JD (1985) Study and interpretation of the chemical characteristics of natural water. USGS Water Supply Paper 2254:117–120
- Rizwan R, Singh G (2009) Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater in Angul–Talcher region of Orissa, India.
- ProgGeogr 25(1):34–44 Kirda C (1997) Assessment of irrigation water quality. Options Mediterr 31:367–377
- Gupta S, Maheto A, Roy P, Datta JK, Saha RN (2008) Geochemistry of groundwater, Burdwan district, West Bengal, India. Environ Geol 53:1271–1282
- S. Dutta, R. RekhaGogoi, L. Khanikar, R. Shubro Bose, and K. Prasad Sarma, ―Assessment of hydro geochemistry and water quality index (WQI) in some wetlands of the Brahmaputra valley, Assam, India,‖ Desalin. Water Treat., vol. 3994, no. June, pp. 1–13, 2016.
- Ravikumar P, AneesulMehmood M, Somashekar RK (2013) Water quality index to determine the surface water quality of Sankey tank and Mallathahallilake, Bangalore urban district, Karnataka, India. Appl Water Sci 3:247–261
- Singh, T. A., Meetei, N. S., & Meitei, L. B.. Seasonal Variation of Some Physicochemical Characteristics of Three Major Rivers InImphal, Manipur: A Comparative Evaluation. Current World Environment; 2013; Vol 8(1), 93-102.
- Hem JD (1985) Study and interpretation of the chemical characteristics of natural water. USGS Water Supply Paper 2254:117–120
- R. Seth, P. Singh, M. Mohan, R. Singh, V. K. Gupta, D. P. Uniyal, R. Dobhal, and S. Gupta, ―Assessment of Water Quality of Kosi River, Almora, Uttarakhand (India) for Drinking and Irrigation Purposes,‖ Anal. Chem. Lett., vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 287–297, 2013.
- Singh K, Malik A, Mohan D, Sinha S (2004) Multivariate statistical techniques for the evaluation of spatial and temporal variations in water quality of Gomti River (India)—a case study. Water Res 38(18):3980–3992
- Chen J, Wang Y, Zhang H (2006) over view on the studies of nitrate pollution in groundwater.