Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : INFLUENCE OF MODEL FOOTING DIAMETER ON SILTY SAND BEDS REINFORCED WITH GEO TEXTILE
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 143-146
Abstract – This research study aims to investigate the potential benefits of using the reinforcement to improve the bearing capacity and reduce the settlement of shallow foundations with medium plasticity, resulting in low bearing capacity and/or excessive settlement problems. This can cause structural damage, reduction in the durability, and/or deterioration in the performance level. This research is performed to investigate the behavior of geosynthetic reinforced silty sand foundation and to study the effect of different parameters contributing to their performance using laboratory model plate load tests. The model circular footing of diameter 60 mm, 75 mm and 90 mm are used and the parameters investigated in this study included a number of reinforcement layers, the effect on the diameter of footing, BCR values and settlement ratio. Three tests in unreinforced and nine test in reinforced conditions with different reinforcement layers of geotextile are performed. By using the load settlement curve, the ultimate bearing capacity of foundation on soil under axial loadings has been obtained by the double tangent method, and the results are compared with Terzaghi’s method-1943, IS method, Vesic -1973. The results showed enhancement in the bearing capacity of the soil as well as a reduction in its settlement in all used configurations compared with the reference case.
Key Words – Model plate load test; silty sand; diameter of footing; geotextile; BCR; settlement ratio
- Adams, M.T., Collin, J.G., 1997. “Large model spread footing load tests on geosynthetic reinforced soil foundations. Journal of Geotechnical and Geo environmental Engineering” Division, ASCE 123 (1), 66–72.
- Ahmed Elzoghby Elsaied, Nasser Mosleh Saleh, Mohi Eldeen Elmashad “ Behavior of circular footing resting on laterally confined granular reinforced soil” the HBRC Journal (2015) 11
- Boushehrian, J.H., Hataf, N., 2003. “Experimental and numerical investigation on the bearing capacity of model circular and ring footings on reinforced sand”. Geotextiles and Geomembranes 21, 241–256.
- Dash, S.K., Krishnaswamy, N.R., Rajagopal, K., 2001a. Bearing capacity of strip footings supported on geocell-reinforced sand. Geotextiles and Geomembranes 19, 235–256.
- Dash, S.K., Sireesh, S., Sitharam, T.G., 2003b. Behaviour of geocell reinforced sand beds under circular footing. Ground Improvement 7 (3), 111–115.
- Ehsan Badakhshan, Ali Noorzad “Load eccentricity effects on behavior of circular footings reinforced with geogrid sheets” Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering 7 (2015)
- IS 1888 – 1982 code of method of load test on soils.
- IS 6403 code of practice for Determination of breaking capacity Of shallow foundations.
- IS 8009 (part I ‘) – 1976 ( reallimed 1993 ) code of practice for calculation of settlements of foundations.
- Patra, C.R., Das, B.M., Atalar, C., 2005. Bearing capacity of embedded strip foundation on geogrid-reinforced sand. Geotextiles and Geo- membranes 23, 454 462.
- P.K. Basudhar, Santanu Saha, Kousik Deb “Circular footings resting on geo textile reinforced sand bed” Journal of the Geo textiles and Geomembranes 25 (2007) 377–384