Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EFFECT OF WATER TABLE RISE ON BEARING CAPACITY OF RECTANGULAR FOOTING RESTING ON GEOTEXTILE REINFORCED SILTY SAND BED
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 166-170
Abstract – This paper presents the effects of water table rise on bearing capacity of rectangular footing resting on Geotextile Reinforced Silty sand bed at a relative density 60% by conducting the laboratory model tests. The model tank of size 990 mm x 710 mm x 600 mm and Rectangular footing of 100 mm x 150 mm was used. Locally available silty sand was used for experimental purpose. In order to show corresponding increase in ground water table, respective layers of silty sand was fully saturated by sprinkling water over it in successive layers. The model Rectangular footing was used to investigate the effect on bearing capacity of geotextile reinforced silty sand with varying water table level and corresponding reinforcement layers. The number of reinforcement layers was varied from 1 to 3. The results showed that bearing capacity of soil decrease with rise in water table level. However, the beneficial effect of reinforcement layers was observed in terms of increased load-bearing capacity and study also highlights the improvement in bearing capacity ratio and settlement reduction ratio.
Key Words – Bearing capacity, Water table, Rectangular footing, Geotextile, Silty sand, bearing capacity ratio, Settlement reduction ratio
- Agarwal K.G. and Rana M.K. 1987. Effect of ground water on settlement of footing in sand. Proceedings, Ninth European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Dublin, 2, 751-754.
- Arvind kumar and Swami saran “Bearing capacity of rectangular footing on reinforced soil” Geotechnical and Geological Engineering 21: 201–224, 2003.
- Binquet, J. and Lee, K. L.: Bearing capacity tests on reinforced earth slabs, J. Geotechnical Eng. Div. ASCE 101(GT 12) (1975a), 1241–1255.
- Blain a. Morgan, sanjay k. Shukla and Nagaratnam Sivakugan “An experimental study on the additional settlement of Footings resting on granular soils by water table rise ”SOILS AND FOUNDATIONS Japanese Geotechnical Society, Vol. 50, No. 2, 319–324, Apr. 2010.
- Ernesto Ausilio and Enrico Conte “Influence of groundwater on the bearing capacity of shallow foundations” Canadian Geotechnical Journal. J. 42: 663–672 (2005)
- Guido, V.A., Biesiadecki, G.L. and Sullivan, M.J.(1985), Bearing capacity of geotextile reinforced foundation, Proceedings of the 11th International conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation of Engineering, San Francisco, CA, pp 1777-1780.
- Indian standard code (IS: 6403-1981) “Code of practice for determination of bearing capacity of shallow foundation.”
- Meyerhof, G.G. (1955), Influence of Roughness of Base and Ground-water Conditions on the Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Foundations, Geotechnique, Vol.5, NO.3, PP.227-242.
- Monir Kazi , Sanjay Kumar Shukla , Daryoush Habibi “Effect of Submergence on Settlement and Bearing Capacity of Surface Strip Footing on Geotextile-Reinforced Sand Bed “International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering (2015)
- Peck R.B., Hanson W.E., and Thornburn T.H. 1974. Foundation Engineering, 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Shahriar M.A., Sivakugan N, Urquhart A., Tapiolas M“A Study on the Influence of Ground Water Level on Foundation Settlement in Cohesionless Soil ”Proceeding of the 18th International Conference on Soil mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Paris 2013.
- Shailendra kumar, Chandresh H Solanki and Mehul M Chavda “study on square footing resting on Geotextile Reinforced sand” Eighth International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Civil Engineering (ICEECE’2016) Jan. 12-13, 2016
- Terzaghi K. and Peck R. B. 1967. Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, New York.