Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : IMPROVEMENT OF CLAYEY SOIL USING SALINE SOLUTION BY ELECTRO-OSMOSIS TECHNIQUE
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 175-178
Abstract – The effect of electro osmosis with injection of saline solutions on clayey soil was studied. A laboratory testing program was performed to assess the probable effectiveness of electro osmosis with the injection of saline solutions. This paper aims to improving undrained shear strength of soil by draining out water from soil subjected to specific types of chemical enhancement over a period of time. For achieving this objective and make process fast and effective different chemical combinations like 0.5M ,1M ,1.5M CaCl2 and 0.1N,0.3N,0.5N CaCl2 in 1:100 Na2(SiO2)n has been use at different voltages of 10 V, 20 V and 30 V. The quality of electro osmotic improvement could be enhanced by injecting solutions of higher valence, concentration and by applying higher electric potential. Results indicate that pH, electrical conductivity (EC) changed during the test. The average undrained shear strength of the soil treated with electro osmosis for 4 days after injection of CaCl2 and combination of CaCl2 and Na2(SiO2)n solution was 2.64 and 2.86 times higher respectively that with electro osmosis only.
Key Words – CL, Soil improvement, Electro osmosis, Saline solution, Undrained shear strength, pH
- Azzam R, Oey W. The utilization of electro kinetics in geotechnical and environmental engineering. Transport Porous Med 2001; 42:293–314.
- Alshawabkeh, A.N., Sheahan, T.C., 2003. Soft soil stabilization by ionic injection under electric fields. Ground Improvement 7 (4), 135–144.
- A.R. Estabragh, M. Naseh , A.A. Javadi,2014. Improvement of clay soil by electro-osmosis technique. Applied Clay Science 95, 32–36
- Chang-Yu Ou , Shao-Chi Chien , Yi-Guang Wang,2008. On the enhancement of electro osmotic soil improvement by the injection of saline solutions. Applied Clay Science 44,130–136
- Hui Wu, Liming Hu, QingboWen, 2015. Electro-osmotic enhancement of bentonite with reactive andinert electrodes. Applied Clay Science 111, 76–82
- Jun Wang, Jianjun Ma, Feiyu Liu, Wei Mi, Yuanqiang Cai,Hongtao Fu, Peng Wang,2016. Experimental study on the improvement of marine clay slurry by electroosmosis-vacuum preloading. Geotextiles and Geomembranes 44,615-622
- Lefebvre, G., Burnotte, F., 2002. Improvement of electro osmotic consolidation of soft clays by minimizing power loss at electrodes. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 39, 399–408.
- Otsuki, N., Yodsudjai, W., Nishida, T., 2007. Feasibility study on soil improvement using electrochemical technique. Construction and Building Materials 21, 1046–1051.
- Paczkowska, B., 2005. Electro osmotic introduction of methacrylate polycations to dehydrate clayey soil. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 42, 780–786.
- Shao-Chi Chien, Chang-Yu Ou,2011. A novel technique of harmonic waves applied electro-osmotic chemical treatment for soil improvement. Applied Clay Science 52, 235–244.
- “Soil Physics”, L.D. Baver, Walter H. Gardner, Wilford R. Gardner IS 9759 (1981): Guidelines for dewatering during construction