Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : WATER QUALITY ANALYSIS IN ERODE DISTRICT
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 192-194
Abstract – This Water Quality Index (WQI) for the ground water sampling locations were calculated , considering the observed and estimated ground water quality parameters values. Water quality assessment was carried out for the parameters like Electrical conductivity, pH, calcium, magnesium, sodium, total hardness, chlorides, sulphates, total dissolved solids, alkalinity and turbidity by the standard methods and procedures. Ground water samples were collected from 60 locations in Erode District during post-monsoon. WHO standards were estimated values based on water quality indices revealed that drinking water at almost all the locations were found to be highly contaminated, except at few locations, where it was found to be excessively contaminated for post monsoon. WQI provides an easy and rapid method of monitoring of water quality. It also becomes easier to compare the quality levels in different locations and to give priority for the required treatment to the location (which is severely affected) and also to select the type of treatment required.
Key Words – water quality index; physico-chemical parameter; assigned weightage factor; quality rating
- Sinha D.K and Srivastava A.K, Physico-chemical Characteristics of River Sai at Raebareli, Indian J. Environ. Hlth., 37(3), 205-210 (1995).
- Kannan .K, Fundamentals of Environmental Pollution, S. Chand & Co. Ltd., New Delhi (1991).
- Sinha D.K and Srivastava A.K, Water Quality Index for River Sai at Raebareli for the Pre monsoon period and after the onset of monsoon, Indian J. Env. Prot., 14(5), 340-345 (1994).
- Pradhan S.K, Patnaik .D and Rout S.P, Ground Water Quality Index for ground water around a phosphatic fertilizer plant, Indian J. Env. Prot., 21(4), 355-358 (2001).
- Sinha D.K, Saxena, Shilpi and Saxena, Ritesh, Water quality Index for Ram Ganga river at Mordabad, Poll. Res., 23(3), 527-531 (2004).
- Singh A.P and Ghosh S.K., Water Quality Index for River Yamuna, Poll. Res., 18, 435-439 (1999).
- Rajmohan. N, et al., Major correlation in ground water of Kancheepuram region, South India, Indian J. Environ. Hlth., 45(1), 1-5 (2003).
- Sinha D.K. and Ritesh Saxena, Statistical Assessment of Under ground drinking water contamination and effect of monsoon at Hasanpur, J.P. Nagar (Uttar Pradesh, India), J. Env. Science & Engg., 48(3), 157-163 (2006).
- WHO ., International standards for Drinking water, World Health Organization, Geneva (1971).