Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : NUMERICAL INVESTIGATION OF COLD-FORMED FERRITIC STAINLESS STEEL STUB COLUMNS
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 195-198
Abstract – This paper reports a numerical investigation concerning the buckling behaviour of cold-formed ferritic stainless steel stub columns under axial compression. The numerical model was developed by using the commercial Finite Element (FE) software ABAQUS 6.10. The developed FE model includes material, geometric non-linearities and geometric imperfections. The accuracy of the FE models have been evaluated by comparing the finite-element analysis results against corresponding experimental results of Cold-Formed Ferritic Stainless Steel Stub Column sections reported in the literature. After the verification of the finite element model parametric study have been carried out by varying the section geometries and the results have been compared with resistance predicted by continuous strength method(CSM). Based on the comparison of results valid conclusions are drawn.
Key Words – buckling; continuous strength method; finite element model etc.,
- Burgan, B.A., Baddoo, N.R.., and Gilsenan, K.A., Structural design of stainless steel members – comparison between Eurocode3, Part 1.4 and test results. Journal of Constructional Steel Research-54, 51-73, 2000.
- Liu, Y., and Young, B. Buckling of stainless steel square hollow section compression members. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 59(2), 165-177, 2003.
- Gardner, L., and Nethercot, D. A. Experiments on stainless steel hollow sections – Part 1: Material and cross-sectional behaviour. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 60(9), 1291-1318, 2004.
- Gardner, L., and Nethercot, D. A. Experiments on stainless steel hollow sections – Part 2: Member behaviour of columns and beams. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 60(9), 1319-1332, 2004.
- Ashraf, M., Gardner, L., and Nethercot, D. A. Finite element modelling of structural stainless steel cross-sections. Thin-Walled Structures, 44(10), 1048-1062, 2006.
- Theofanous, M., and Gardner, L., Experimental and numerical studies of lean duplex stainless steel beams. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 66(6), 816-825, 2010.
- Afshan, S., and Gardner, L., The continuous strength method for structural stainless steel design. Thin-Walled Structures, 68(0), 42-49, 2013.
- Afshan, S., and Gardner, L., Experimental study of cold-formed ferritic stainless steel hollow sections. Journal of Structural Engineering – ASCE, 139(5), 717- 728, 2013.
- Tao, Z., and Rasmussen K.J.R., Stress-Strain Model for Ferritic Stainless Steels. J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 28(2), 06015009 1-5, 2016.
- EN 1993-1-4. Eurocode 3, ‘Design of steel structures-Part 1.4: General rules-Supplementary rules for stainless steel. CEN. Brussels’ 2006. Simulia Inc. Abacus standard (Version 6.10), 2010.