Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY ON MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF MICRO SILICA CONCRETE
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 214-217
Abstract – This paper presents the experimental investigation to find out the effect of replacement of cement by Micro silica on the workability and strength characteristics. The strength characteristics viz., compressive strength, tensile strength, flexural strength and workability characteristics are found with the replacement of Micro silica in different percentages viz., 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20% respectively by weight of cement on the properties of M40 grade of concrete. The test results shows that there is an increase in compressive, split tensile and flexural strength for M40 grade of concrete mixes with replacement of cement by 10% replacement. Hence, micro silica can be used to increase the strength of concrete.
Key Words – cement; concrete; micro silica; compressive strength; tensile strength; flexural strength
- Athiappan. K and Vijaychandrakanth. S (2014), “Experimental Study on Flexural Behavior of microsilica in Reinforced Concrete Beam”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol. 3, Issue 5, pp.1500-1505.
- Bilal Hamad and et.al (2011), “Preliminary Studies on the Use of silica fume in Sustainable Concrete”, Lebanese Science Journal, Vol.12, No.1, pp.109-117.
- Debabrata Pradhan and D.Dutta (2013), “Influence of Silica Fume on Normal Concrete”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol.3, Issue 5, pp.79-82.
- Faseyemi Victor Ajileye (2012), “Investigation on Microsilica as Partial Cement Replacement in Concrete”, Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Civil and Structural Engineering”, Vol.12, Issue 1, Version 1.0, pp.17-23.
- Prahallada M.C. and Prakash K. B (2011), “Effect of replacement of Cement by Microsilica-600 on the properties of Waste Plastic Fibre Reinforced (WPFRC) Concrete- An experimental investigation”, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology, Vol 2, No 1, pp.222-232.
- Saandeepani Vajje and Dr.N.R.Krishnamurthy (2013), “Study on Addition of the Natural Fibers into Concrete”, International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research, Vol.2, Issue 11, pp.213-218.
- Umesh Sharma and et.al (2014), “Use of Micro-Silica as Additive to Concrete-State of Art”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 9-12.
- Verma Ajay and et.al (2012), “Effect of Micro-Silica on the Strength of Concrete with Ordinary Portland Cement”, Research Journal of Engineering Sciences, Vol.1, Issue 3, pp.1-4.
- IS: 10262-2009, Recommended Guidelines for Concrete Mix Design, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 383-1970, Specifications for Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Sources for Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 456-2000, Indian Standard Code of Practice for Plain and Reinforced Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 516-1959, Indian Standard Code of Practice- Methods of Test for Strength of Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 12269-1987, Specifications for 53-Grade Portland Cement, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Shetty M.S (2012), “Concrete Technology”, S.Chand and Publications Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, -India.