Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EFFECT OF CORE GEOMETRY ON BUCKLING BEHAVIOR OF HONEYCOMB CORE SANDWICH STRUCTURE
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 226-230
Abstract – This paper presents the numerical simulation studies on buckling behavior of honeycomb core sandwich structure. The effect of face sheet thickness, core height, cell size, cell wall thickness of honeycomb core sandwich structure is analyzed. In order to reduce the preprocessing error and computational effort, equivalent 2D elastic properties of honeycomb core sandwich structure is used. From the results, it is concluded that, effect of face sheet thickness on critical buckling strength is significant and it increases with increase in fact sheet thickness. Higher buckling strength is achieved in lower core height sandwich panel in due considerations to the space constraint. The effect of cell size and cell wall thickness is significant on critical buckling load
KeyWords – sandwich structure; honeycomb core; equivalent 2D model; finite element method; buckling
- Libove, Charles, and Ralph E. Hubka. “Elastic constants for corrugated-core sandwich plates.” (1951)
- Nordstrand, Tomas, Leif A. Carlsson, and Howard G. Allen. “Transverse shear stiffness of structural core sandwich.” Composite Structures 27.3 (1994): 317-329.
- Shi, Guangyu, and Pin Tong. “Equivalent transverse shear stiffness of honeycomb cores.” International Journal of Solids and Structures 32.10 (1995): 1383-1393.
- Fung, Tat-Ching, Kang-Hai Tan, and Tat-Seng Lok. “Elastic constants for Z-core sandwich panels.” Journal of Structural Engineering 120.10 (1994): 3046-3055.
- Fung, That-Ching, K. H. Tan, and T. S. Lok. “Shear stiffness DQy for C-core sandwich panels.” Journal of Structural Engineering 122.8 (1996): 958-966.
- Lok, Tat-Seng, and Qian-Hua Cheng. “Elastic stiffness properties and behavior of truss-core sandwich panel.” Journal of Structural Engineering 126.5 (2000): 552-559.
- Hao, Geng, Shangjun, Wenbin, Dynamic analysis of the spacecraft structure on orbit made up of honeycomb sandwich plates. in: Computer Science and Automation Engineering (CSAE), IEEE International Conference, Vol.1, 2011, pp. 83–87.