Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EXPERIMENTAL STUDY FOR COLD-FORM BUILT-UP SECTIONS WITH EDGE STIFFENER UNDER BENDING
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 259-263
Abstract – In this paper, Importance of edge stiffener in cold-formed steel built-up sections under bending is explored and studied. There are several applications where built-up sections are used to resist load induced in a structure when a single section is not sufficient to carry the design load. Also, the structural behavior of these light gauge steel structures is characterized by various buckling modes such as local buckling, distortional buckling or flexural-torsional buckling. These buckling problems lead to severe reduction of member strengths. Hence, the need of hour is to come up with new innovative sections which would either delay/eliminate buckling problems so that section can be utilized up to full-capacity. Three different profiles and considered and designed as per IS standards. Experimental study for four point bending is carried out to study the buckling behavior of all profiles under bending. Results are obtained in form of load capacity and deflection satisfying serviceable limits for practical purpose.
Key Words – cold-form steel; built-up sections ; edge stiffner; flexure capacity; experimental study
- Wei-Wen Yu, Fourth Edition, ,Roger A. LaBoube
- Design of Steel Structure by A.S Arya & J.L Ajmani , 4th Edition.
- ABAQUS manual 6.13 documentation.
- IS 801- 1975 : Indian Standard code of practice for use of cold-formed light gauge steel structural members in general building construction.
- SP-6(5) : Handbook for Structural engineers.
- P. Manikandan and s. Sukumar,AJCE : Behavior of cold-formed steel built-up closed section with intermediate web stiffener under bending,2015
- Liping ang and Ben Young, ASCE : Behavior of Cold-Formed Steel Built-Up Sections with intermediate Stiffeners under Bending. II: Parametric Study and Design , 2015.
- P. Manikandan and S. Sukumar ,KSCE. : Behaviour of Stiffened Cold-Formed Steel Built-up Sections with Complex Edge Stiffeners under Bending, 2015.
- G. Aruna, S. Sukumar and V. Karthika,AJCE : Study on cold-formed steel built-up square Sections with intermediate flange and web Stiffeners
- Adil Dar M, Ashish D. K & Dar A.R, Int. Journal of Applied Sciences and Engineering Research, 5 : Theoretical analysis and design of innovative cold formed beam sections, 2015