Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : EFFECT OF SEQUENTIAL CONSTRUCTION ANALYSES IN RCC BUILDINGS FOR GRAVITY LOADS
Volume 04 Issue 04 2017
ISSN no : 2348-3121
Page no: 286-290
Abstract – The scarcity of land and mammoth population increase have given impetus to multistoried structures as well as steering the engineers to consider realistic design approaches. Conventionally, multistoried buildings are analyzed based on the fundamental assumption that all the loads act on a structure simultaneously post the complete construction of structure. Thus, we analyze the structure with linear static analysis approach and that too in a single step. However, this methodology does not model the actual construction practices. Moreover, the structural behavior in linear static analysis is different from the reality as reduction in stiffness and cracking, deformations, moment redistributions, etc. occur in the structure transiently in various stages of the construction. Present study considers the nonlinear behavior of structures into account and incorporates the story-by-story construction using Sequential Construction Analysis in three illustrative RCC buildings. The study aims at understanding the responses of building elements namely bending moments, axial forces and axial displacements of building elements. Further, the geometric non-linearity in terms of P-delta effect is considered and the structural responses are compared with the Sequential Construction Analysis and Linear Static Analysis.
Keywords – Story-by-story construction; Linear Static Analysis; Sequential construction; P-delta effect; non-linearity
- Chang-Koon Choi, M. ASCE and E-Doo Kim, “Multistory Frames Under Sequential Gravity Loads”, Journal of Structural Engineering, November, 1985, Vol. 111, pp. 2373-2384.
- A. Vafai, M. Ghabdiana, H.E. Estekanchia and C.S. Desai, “Calculation Of Creep And Shrinkage In Tall Concrete Buildings Using Nonlinear Staged Construction Analysis”, Asian Journal Of Civil Engineering (Building And Housing), 2009, Vol. 10, pp. 409-426.
- Kim J.Y , Ahmad K. , Abdelrazaq, “Construction Sequence Analysis Of The Flat Plate System In A High-Rise Building And Its Impact On The Construction Cycle”, The Structural Design Of Tall And Special Buildings, Wiley Inter science, 2009, Vol. 18, pp. 341-350.
- Kim H.S, Shin J.Y, “Column Shortening Analysis with Lumped Construction Sequences”, Procedia Engineering, 2011, Vol. 14, pp. 1791–1798.
- Taehun Ha, and Sungho Lee, “Advanced Construction Stage Analysis of High-rise Building Considering Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete”, The 2013 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics, September 2013.
- Nayak S., Kumar R., Sonparote R., “Effect of Staged Construction Analysis On Seismic Design And Performance Of RC Buildings”, 15th SEE, 2014.
- Dubey N., Kumar R., Sonparote R., “Effect of Construction Sequence Analysis on Seismic Performance of Tall Buildings”, Journal of Civil Engineering and Environmental Technology, April- June 2015, Vol 2, No. 11, pp. 44-49.
- Chakrabarti, Nayak, Agarwal, “Effect of Sequence of Construction in the Analysis of Multistoreyed Building Frame”, Building and Environment, Pergamon Press, Great Britain, 1978, Vol. 13, pp. 1-6