Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : DETECTION OF FAKE ACCOUNTS IN ONLINE SOCIAL NETWORKS (OSN)
Paper Presented in : ‘2 day State Level workshop on Cyber Fest 17’, conducted by: ‘Department of Computer Engineering, Marathwada Mitra Mandal College of Engineering, Pune’ on 22-23 Feb 2017
Volume 04 Issue 05 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 1-3
Abstract – In the today’s generation, the social life of everyone has become associated with the online social networks. These sites have made a drastic change in the way we pursue our social life. It has become so much easier to make friends and keeping in contact with them and their updates. But with their rapid growth, many problems like fake profiles online impersonation have also grown. Fake accounts are a preferred means for malicious users of online social networks to send spam, commit fraud, or otherwise abuse the system. A single malicious actor may create dozens to thousands of fake accounts in order to scale their operation. The last few years have witnessed the emergence and evolution of a vibrant research stream on a large variety of online Social Network (OSN) platforms. Recognizing anonymous, yet identical users among multiple OSNs is still an intractable problem. Clearly, cross-platform exploration may help to solve many problems in social computing in both theory and real time .Since public profiles can be duplicated and easily impersonated by users with different purposes, most current user identification resolutions, which mainly focus on text mining of users’ public profiles, are fragile. Since identical users tend to set up partial similarriendship structures in different OSNs, we proposed the Friend Relationship Based User Identification (FRUI) algorithm. FRUI calculates a match possibility for all candidate User Matched Pairs (UMPs), and using UMPs with top ranks are considered as identical users. We also developed propositions to improve the efficiency of the algorithm. Results of extensive experiments demonstrate that FRUI performs much better.
Keywords— Online Social Media, Cross Platform, Anonymous Identical Fake User, Friend Relationship, Database Management
- Wikipedia,”Twitter,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter. 2014.
- Xinhuanet, “SinaMicroblog Achieves over 500 Million Users,”http://news.xinhuanet.com/tech/201202/29/c_122769084.htm. 2014.
- D. Perito, C. Castelluccia, M.A. Kaafar, and P. Manils, “How unique and traceable are usernames?,” Privacy Enhancing
Technologies (PETS’11), pp. 1-17, 2011.
- J. Liu, F. Zhang, X. Song, Y.I. Song, C.Y. Lin, and H.W. Hon, “What’s in a name?: an unsupervised approach to link users across communities,” Proc. of the 6th ACM international conference on Web search and data mining(WDM’13), pp. 495-504, 2013.
- R. Zafarani and H. Liu, “Connecting corresponding identities across communities,” Proc. of the 3rd International ICWSM Conference, pp. 354- 357, 2009.
- R. Zafarani and H. Liu, “Connecting users across social media sites: a behavioral-modeling approach, ” Proc. of the 19th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD’13), pp.41-49, 2013.
- A. Acquisti, R. Gross and F. Stutzman, “Privacy in the age of
augmented reality,” Proc. National Academy of Sciences, 2011.
- T. Iofciu, P. Fankhauser, F. Abel, and K. Bischoff, “Identifying users across social tagging systems,? Proc. of the 5th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media, pp. 522-525, 2011