Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : STRUCTURAL BEHAVIOR OF ALKALI CONCRETE IN TERMS OF MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
Volume 04 Issue 05 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 107-109
Abstract – The need to meet a sustainable development is now an important challenge to the cement industry. The production of OPC is responsible for about 7% of the world’s CO2 emission, a major contributor to the greenhouse effect which is implicated in global warming and climatic changes, lead to the search for more environmentally viable alternative to cement. One of those alternative material is alkali activated slag (AAS) where ground granulated blast furnace slag is used not as partial replacement to cement but as a a sole binder in the production of concrete. The overall aim of the study was to investigate the potential of alkali activated slag as the sole binder in producing concrete. The performance of alkali-activated slag concrete with sodium silicate, with hydrated lime, sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate as activator are used at 4% Na2o(by weight of slag) and 4% of hydrated lime by weight of solid binder content if used as retarder. The scope of the work covered four mixes: a normal OPC mix, three AAS slag mixes of the same binder content and the same water binder ratio.
- Abbas A, Fathifazl G, Isgor OB, Razaqpur AG. Durability of recycled aggregate concrete designed with equivalent mortar volume method. Cem Concr Comp (2009).
- Atis CD., Bilim C., Celik O. (2007) “ Influence of activator on the strength and drying shrinkage of alkali-activated slag mortar”, Construction and Building Materials, cited in Elsevier Science Direct.
- Anderson, Ronny; Gram, Hans-Erik, (1987), ‘Properties of alkali activated slag concrete’, Nordic Concrete Research, (6), 7-18
- Ajdukiewicz AB, Kliszezewicz AT. Comparative tests of beams and columns made of recycled aggregate concrete and natural aggregate concrete. J Adv Concr Technol 2007.
- Bakharev, T.; Sanjayan, J.G.; Cheng, Y.B. (1999). “Alkali activation of Australian slag cements.” Cement and Concrete Research, 29(1), 113-120.
- Bakharev, T.; Sanjayan, J.G.; Cheng, Y.B. (2000). “Effect of admixtures on properties of alkali-activated slag concrete.” Cement and Concrete Research, 30(9), April 2001, 1367-1374.
- Bakharev, T.; Sanjayan, J.G.; Cheng, Y.B. (2001). “Resistance of alkali-activated slag concrete to carbonation”, Cement and Concrete Research, 31, 1277-1283.
- Basheer, P. A. M. (2001). “Permeation analysis.” Handbook of analysis techniques in concrete science and technology, V.S. Ramachandran and J.J. Beaudoin, eds., William Andrew publishing, 985 p.
- Bougara, Lynsdale, Ezziane (2007). “Activation of Algerian slag in mortars”, Construction and Building materials, cited in Elsevier Science Direct.