Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : DETECTION OF DIABETES MELLITUS USING TONGUE COLOR, TEXTURE, AND GEOMETRY FEATURES
Volume 04 Issue 05 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 120-122
Abstract – Diabetes mellitus (DM) and its complications leading to diabetic retinopathy (DR) are soon to become one of the 21st century’s major health problems. The main drawback is that there is lack of awareness of the people on eating habits. It is characterized by hyperglycemia. The persistent hyperglycemia of diabetes leads to damage malfunction and failure of different organs such as kidneys, eyes, nerves, blood vessels and heart. To combat this approaching epidemic, this paper proposes a noninvasive method to detect DM. Three groups of features extracted from tongue images. They include color, texture, and geometry . A noninvasive capture device with image correction first captures the tongue images. A tongue color gamut is established with 12 colors representing the tongue color features. The texture values of eight blocks strategically located on the tongue surface, with the additional mean of all eight blocks are used to characterize the nine tongue texture features. Finally, 13 features extracted from tongue images based on measurements, distances, areas, and their ratios represent the geometry features. Applying a combination of the 34 features, the proposed method can separate Healthy/DM tongues.
Keywords – Diabetes mellitus (DM) detection, tongue color features, tongue geometry features, tongue texture features, SVM, ANN
- Bob Zhang, Han Zhang, “Significant Geometry Features in Tongue Image Analysis,” in Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine,Article ID 897580
- Bob Zhang et. al., “Tongue Color Analysis for Medical Application”, Research article, Hindawi Corporation, Vol. 2013, Article ID 264742, Mar 2013
- Ratchadaporn et. al.,” Automated Tongue Feature Extraction for ZHENG Classification in Traditional Chinese Medicine”, Research article, Hindawi Corporation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 912852, Mar 2012
- Chiu CC. Development of a computerized tongue diagnosis system. Biomedical Engineering.1996;8(4):342–350.
- Dr. Debasis Bakshi and Dr.Sujatha Pal,“Introduction About Traditional Tongue Diagnosis With Scientific Value Addition”, Proc.Int. Conf.on Systems in Medicine and Biology. pp. 269-272, 2010.
- Prevention of Blindness From Diabetes Mellitus, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- J. H. Hipwell, F. Strachan, J. A. Olson, K. C. Mc Hardy, P. F. Sharp, and J. V. Forrester, “Automated detection of micro aneurysms in digital red free photographs: A diabetic retinopathy screening tool,” Diabetic Med.,vol. 7, pp. 588–594, 2000.