Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : “MECHANICAL AND WEAR PROPERTIES OF CARBURIZED MILD STEEL SAMPLES”
Volume 04 Issue 06 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 1-5
Abstract – The heat treatment and carburization has been acknowledged by some means of improving the various properties of metals and alloys. In the present investigation the mechanical and wear behavior is carburized at different temperature range of 850, 900 and 950°C have been studied and it is found that the simple heat treatment greatly improves the hardness, tensile strength, wear resistance of the mild steel. For above purpose firstly the mild steels are carburized under the different temperature range as stated above and then it is tempered at 2000 C for half an hour after this the carburized and tempered mild steels are subjected for different kind of test such as abrasive wear test, hardness test, tensile test and the toughness test. The results of these experiment shows that the process of carburization greatly improves the mechanical and wears properties like hardness, tensile strength and wear resistance and these properties increases with increase in the carburization temperature but apart from this the toughness property decreases and it is further decreases with increase in carburization temperature. The experimental results also shows that the mild steels carburized under different temperature range as stated above, with in which the mild steels carburized at the temperature of 9500C gives the best results for the different kinds of mechanical and wear properties because at this temperature it gives highest Tensile strength, hardness and wear resistance, so it must be preferred for the required applications.
- Gulyaev A. , Physical Metallurgy, 5th Edn. , Mir publishers, Moscow, 1980, p – 173.
- Rao P. N. , Manufacturing Technology, 2nd Edn. , Tata Mc Graw Hill Publisher, New Delhi, 2003, p – 28, 13 – 20.
- Dieter G. E. , Mechanical Metallurgy, 3rd Edn. , Mc Graw Hills, Singapore, 1988, P – 277, 333, 334.
- Wieser P. F. , Steel casting Handbook, 5th Edn. , Steel Founders Society of America,Ohio, 1980, P – 4.
- Singh V. , Physical Metallurgy, Standard Publisher, Delhi, 2007, p – 482.
- Tupkary R. H. , An Introduction to Modern Steel Making, 6th Edn. , Khanna Publisher, Delhi, 1998, P – 64.
- Celik O. , High temperature abrasive wear behavior of an as – cast ductile iron, wear,258 ( 2005 ) : pp. 189 – 193
- Izciler M. and Tabur M. , Abrasive wear behavior of different case depth gas carburized AISI gear steel, Wear, 220 ( 2006 ) : pp. 90 – 98.
- Khusid B. M. and Khina B.B. , Wear of carburized high chromium steels, Wear, 165(1993) : pp. 109 – 112.
- Luo Q., Xie J. and Song Y. , Effects of micro structure on the abrasive wear behavior of spheroidal cast iron, Wear, 184 ( 1995 ) : pp. 133 – 137.
- Akdemir A. , Kus R. and Simsir M. , Impact toughness and micro structure of continuous steel wire – reinforced cast iron composite, Material science and Engineering, (2009).
- Baldissera P. and Delprete C. , Effect of deep cryogenic treatment on static mechanical properties of 18NiCrMo5 carburized steel, Material and design, 30 (2009 ) : pp. 1435 –1440.
- Celik O., Ahlatci H. and Kayali E. S. , High temperature tensile and abrasive wear characteristics of As – cast ductile iron, ISIJ International, 43 ( 2003 ) : 1274 – 1279.
- Kumar M. and Gupta R. C. , Abrasive wear characteristics of carbon and low alloy steels for better performance of farm implements, Journal of material science and technology, 11 ( 1995 ) : pp. 91 – 96.
- Kumar M. , Studies on the abrasive wear of carburized mild steels , Trans. Indian Inst.Metals, 47 ( 1994 ) : pp. 417 – 420.
- Bepari M. M. A. and Haque M. N. , Effects of Cr and Ni addition on the structure and properties of carburized low carbon steels, Trans. Indian Inst. Metals, 53 ( 2000 ) :pp. 509
- Wang Y. and Lei T. , Study of Wear behavior of cast iron, Wear, 194 ( 1996 ) : pp. 44.
- Kumar A. , Corrosion inhibition of mild steels in hydrochloric acid by sodium lauryl sulphate, Journal of chemistry,5(2008 ) : pp. 275 – 280.
- Kanisawa H. and Koyasu Y. , development of high strength carburized steels for automobile gears, Nippon steel technical report, 65 ( 1995 ).
- Johnson A. and Randal J. , The impact fatigue properties of iron and steels, Journal of sounds and vibration, 308 ( 2007 ) : pp. 458 – 466.