Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : VARIOUS RESEARCH TRENDS OF ELECTRICAL DISCHARGE MACHINING
Volume 04 Issue 07 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 4-6
Abstract – Electrical discharge machining (EDM) is one of the oldest non-traditional machining processes. EDM process is basically done through the thermo electric energy between the work piece and an electrode. In electrical discharge machining (EDM), a process utilizing the removal phenomenon of electrical discharge in dielectric, the working fluid plays an important role affecting the material removal rate and the properties of the machined surface. Selection of the right dielectric fluid is important for successful operations. This paper presents a literature survey on the various concepts with current research trends and also their effects in electrical discharge machining characteristics.
Keywords – DOE, RSM, GFRG, GRA, ANFIS, CACO, DEA, WLT, SCD, WG, EW & OC
- M. Gostimirovic, P. Kovac, B. Skoric, M. Sekulic, Effect of electrical process parameters on the machining performance in EDM, Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences 18 (2012) 411–415.
- I. Puertas, C.J. Luis, L. Alvarez, Analysis of the influence of EDM parameters on surface quality, MRR and EW of WC-Co, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 153/154 (2004) 1026–1032.
- K.M. Patel, P.M. Pandey, P.V. Rao, Surface integrity and material removal mechanisms associated with the EDM of Al2O3 ceramic composite, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 27 (2009) 892–899.
- A. Yahya, C.D. Manning, Determination of material removal rate of an electro discharge machine using dimensional analysis, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 37 (2004) 1467–1471.
- K.M. Patel, P.M. Pandey, P.V. Rao, Understanding the role of weight percentage and size of silicon carbide particulate reinforcement on electro-discharge machining of aluminium based composites, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 23 (2008) 665–673.
- N. Pelicer, J. Ciurana, T. Ozel, Influence of process parameters and electrode geometry on feature micro – accuracy in electro discharge machining of tool steel, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 24 (2009) 1282– 1289.
- P. Kuppan, A. Rajadurai, S. Narayanan, Influence of EDM process parameters in deep hole drilling of Inconel 718, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 38 (2008) 74–84.
- D. Wang, W.S. Zhao, L. Gu, X.M. Kang, A study on micro hole machining of poly crystalline diamond by micro- electrical discharge machining, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 211 (2011) 3–11.
- A. Batish, A. Bhattacharya, V.K. Singla, G. Singh, Study of material transfer mechanism in die steels using powder mixed electric discharge machining, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 27 (2012) 449–456.
- M.P. Jahan, Y.S. Wong, M. Rahman, A study on the quality micro-hole machining of tungsten carbide by micro-EDM process using transistor and RC-type pulse generator, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209 (2009) 1706–1716.
- S.H. Yeo, P.C. Tan, E. Aligiri, S.B. Tor, N.H. Loh, Processing of zirconium based bulk metallic glass using micro electrical discharge machining, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 24 (2009) 1242–1248.
- A.K. Khanra, L.C. Pathak, M.M. Godkhindi, Micro analysis of debris formed during electrical discharge machining, Journal of Materials Science 42 (2007) 872–877.
- M.S. Popa, G. Contiu, G. Pop, P. Dan, New technologies and applications of EDM process, The International Journal of Material Forming 2 (2009) 633–636.
- A. Kojima, W. Natsu, M. Kunieda, Spectroscopic measurement of arc plasma diameter in EDM, CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology 57 (2008) 203–207.
- Y.S. Wong, M. Rahman, H.S. Lim, H. Han, N. Ravi, Investigation of micro-EDM material removal characteristics using single RC-pulse discharges, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 140 (2003) 303– 307.
- Y.H. Guu, K.L. Tsai, L.K. Chen, An experimental study on electrical discharge machining of manganese–zinc ferrite magnetic material, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 22 (2007) 66–70.
- H. Singh, Experimental study of distribution of energy during EDM process for utilization in thermal models, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 55 (2012) 5053–5064.
- C. Fenggou, Y. Dayong, The study of high efficiency and intelligent optimization system in EDM sinking process, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 149 (2004) 83–87.
- U. Caydas, A. Hascalik, Modeling and analysis of electrode wear and white layer thickness in die-sinking EDM process through response surface methodology, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 38 (2008) 1148–1156.
- M. Zhou, F. Han, Adaptive control for EDM process with a self tuning regulator, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 49 (2009) 462–469.
- O. Yilmaz, O. Eyercioglu, N.N.Z. Gindy, A user friendly fuzzy based system for the selection of electro discharge machining process parameters, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 172 (2006) 363–371.
- A. Behrens, J. Ginzel, Neuro-fuzzy processes control system for sinking EDM, Journal of Manufacturing Processes 5 (2003) 33–39.
- C.C. Kao, A.J. Shih, Sub-nano second monitoring of micro-hole electrical discharge machining pulses and modeling of discharge ringing, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 46 (2006) 1996–2008.
- X.F. Chang, Mixed H2/H1 optimization approach to gap control on EDM, Control Engineering Practice 13 (2005) 95–104.
- H. Tong, Y. Li, Y. Wang, D. Yu, Servo scanning 3D micro-EDM based on macro/micro dual feed machine, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 48 (2008) 858–869.
- S. Spadlo, J. Kozak, P. Mlynarczyk, Mathematical modelling of the electrical discharge mechanical alloying process, Procedia CIRP 6 (2013) 423–427.
- K. Salonitis, A. Stournaras, P. Stavropoulos, G. Chryssolouris, Thermal modeling of the material removal rate and surface roughness for die-sinking EDM, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 40 (2009) 316–323.
- S. Liu, Y. Huang, Y. Li, A plate capacitor model of the EDM process based on the field emission theory, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 51 (2011) 653–659.
- P. Matoorian, S. Sulaiman, M.M.H.M. Ahmed, An experimental study for optimization of electrical discharge turning process, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 204 (2008) 350–356
- T. Muthuramalingam, B. Mohan, Multi response optimization of electrical process parameters on machining characteristics in EDM using Taguchi-DEAR methodology, Journal of Engineering Technology 3 (2013) 57–60.
- Y.F. Tzeng, F.C. Chen, Multi objective optimisation of high speed electrical discharge machining process using Taguchi fuzzy based approach, Materials and Design 28 (2007) 1159–1168.
- J. Marafona, C. Wykes, A new method of optimizing material removal rate using EDM with copper–tungsten electrodes, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 40 (2000) 153–164.
- R. Landfried , F. Kern, R. Gadow, Electrically conductive ZTA–TiC ceramics: Influence of TiC particle size on material properties and electrical discharge machining, Institut für Fertigungstechnologie keramischer Bauteile, Universität Stuttgart, Allmandring 7b, D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany
- K. Palanikumar and J. Paulo Davim, Electrical discharge machining: study on machining characteristics of WC/Co composites , Published by Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2013
- M. Merkleina & K. Andreasa, Influence of machining process on residual stresses in the surface of cemented carbides, 1st CIRP Conference on Surface Integrity (CSI), 2012 Published by Elsevier Ltd.