Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : THE RESULTS OF FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS USING ANSYS FOR MASONARY COLUMNS ARE IN LINE WITH EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS
Volume 04 Issue 07 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 16-18
Abstract – The present work focuses on the experimental investigations of FRP wrapped masonry load bearing members. The experimental program consists of testing on FRP strengthened masonry columns. The enhancement in load carrying capacity of masonry columns due to confinement by FRP strips has been found. An ‘Advanced Composite Fiber Wrap System’ with combination of vertical and horizontal FRP strips has been proposed. Behaviour of unstrengthen and FRP strengthened masonry columns subjected to uniaxial compression has been studied. The contribution of FRP anchors in enhancement of load carrying capacity has been quantified. Finite element analysis for unstrengthen masonry elements has been done using the ANSYS software. The experimental and analytical results are compared. CNR-DT-200 provides guidelines for the strengthening of masonry structures using FRP.
- Robert G. Drysdale, Ahmad A. Hamid & Lawrie R. Baker. (1999). Masonry
- Structures Behavior and Design. 2nd edition, The Masonry Society, USA.
- Anand S. Arya (2008). Seismic Assesment of Masonry Buildings. Journal of South Asia Disaster Studies. 1(1), 23-43.
- Andrew Coburn & Robin Spence (1992). Earthquake Protection. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex.
- C. V. Murthy Learning Earthquake Design and Construction. (2005). Earthquake Tip16. Building Materials and Technology Promotions Council, New Delhi, India.
- Tumialan, G., F. Micelli, & A. Nanni (2001). Strengthening of Masonry Structurewith FRP Composites. Structures, Washington DC, May 21-23.
- Badger Emily (2012, Jan 24). Why the Most Environmental Building is the BuildingWe’ve already Built. The Atlantic Cities.
- IS 13935 (1993). Seismic Evaluation, Repair and Strengthening of Masonry Buildi.
- Eurocode 8 (2005): Design of structures for earthquake resistance, Part 3, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Charu Chaudhary (2007). Evaluation of Grouting as a Strengthening Technique forEarthen Structures in Seismic Areas: Case Study Chiripa. Thesis of Degree of Master of Science in Historic Preservation, University of Pennsylvania.
- FEMA 172 (1992). NEHRP Handbook for Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings. Washington DC, USA.
- FEMA 547 (2006). Techniques for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings.Washington DC, USA.
- Mohammad Ashraf, Amjad Naseer, Akhtar Naeem Khan and Khan Shahzada (2009).Seismic Upgradation of Unreinforced Masonry Buildings as a Part of Disaster Management Policy.International Disaster Management Conference. Baragali,Pakistan, 101-120.
- Kahn, L. (1984). Shotcrete Retrofit for Unreinforced Brick Masonry. 8th WCEE,USA, 583-590.
- Karantoni, F., Fardis, M. (2001). Effectiveness of Seismic Strengthening Techniques for Masonry Buildings”, ASCE, 118(7), 2001, 1884-1902.
- Abid A. Shah (2011). Applications of Ferrocement in Strengthening of Unreinforced Masonry Columns. International Journal of Geology. 5(1), 21-27.
- Bothara J.K., Guragain R., Dixit A. (2002). Protection of Educational Buildingsagainst Earthquekes. A Manual for Designers and Builders. National Soc. For Earthqueke Technol, Nepal (NSET), 12, 50-62.
- Raluca pleşu, George Tăranu, Daniel Covatariu and Lonuţdan Grădinariu,“Strengthening and rehabilitation conventional Methods for masonry structures”,Buletinul Institutului politehnic din iaşi
- Bothara J., Brzev S. (2011). A Tutorial: Improving the Seismic Performance of Stone Masonry Buildings. Earthquake Engng. Res. Inst., Oakland, California, 53-71.
- Fardis, M.N., and Khalili, H. (1981) Concrete Encased in Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics ACI Journal. 78 (6), 440-446.
- ACI 440.2R-02 (2002). Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures. American Concrete Institute.USA.